Nematodes to treat slugs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nematodes to treat slugs

Has anyone experience of treating slugs with nematodes?

How effective is it?

How long does it last?

Can you breed them with captive slugs?

What about the copper barrier (Lidls)

I am concerned about the environment in the polytunnel - it is warm and humid - with slugs already there. Once I finish stripping all the grass out, the only food will be the seedlings!

I found it v.effective
    About 6 weeks - 8 weeks
    Never tried - doubt it as its their food source they are supposed to "get it on" with each other but I have not fallen far enough to watch - yet
    never tried copper rings but they seem to work - I have got some 6mm copper cable here and was going to try that on the Dahlias.

Ps upturned grapefruit skin is very good at attracting them apparently
    Last edited by TEB; 10-05-2007, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Personally I found them very expensive and worked OKish - depends on if you can keep of the rading parties from next door etc. Have only done it once and am loathed to go for the expense again so am going for the tap dancing style defence again this year!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

About £15 and doesn't keep but will treat a large area -go 1/2's with your neighbour? The nematodes live in soil anyway but flooding it with them increases population to massive proportions and when slugs die the balance returns. They work by stopping slugs eating. It works very well for keel slugs -to protect potatoes, lettuce, cabbage etc. ground needs to be wet first then water on.

I think it is effective for two months. Still worth stepping out on a damp night with a torch and brine jar for a snail hunt

I don't know how they are bred..if it were easy then they wouldn't be expensive!

I'm still unconvinced by copper idea but I hope to see scietific proof.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
          I'm still unconvinced by copper idea but I hope to see scietific proof.
          I saw the tail end of a spring watch rerun last night where they were showing slugs being deterred by copper rings around pots and plants.

On reflection though I cannot remember seeing "all of the slug" in the frame so there may have been some bloke sticking a pin in its bum to get that reaction.

Comment

nematoids do work but you need to persist, it restores the balance if used for a full year.
            copper works too, but only on above ground slugs.
            Yo an' Bob
            Walk lightly on the earth
            take only what you need
            give all you can
            and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

It worked for me with vine weevil a couple of years ago and I've not seen any back yet, so I'm trying it on the slugs in the polytunnel this year. I tried everything last year on the slugs, but just couldn't get the tiny little things which do more damage than the bigger ones.

I'm waiting for the soil to warm up a bit though before I order as they don't have a very long shelf life - about 12 days if kept in a fridge I think.
              ~
              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Newly purchased

I have just had delivery of my nematodes this morning and was going to share them with a friend who lives about 15 minutes away. Do you think they would survive long enough for me to quickly do my garden and then take the remainder around to her house?

Also, for information, I ordered my nematodes from Nemaslug (tel 0800 085 3105) - their ad is on page 34 of Lets Grow Veg for £9.99 but if you quote "LGV" they will only cost £8.99 incl p&p which is the cheapest I found when looking. Hope that helps any prospective purchasers!!
                The Apprentice

Comment

Thanks jenjems

Comment

Originally posted by jenjems View Post
                    I have just had delivery of my nematodes this morning and was going to share them with a friend who lives about 15 minutes away. Do you think they would survive long enough for me to quickly do my garden and then take the remainder around to her house?
                    Would have thought that they'll survive 15 minutes without any problems, dont' think that they're that sensitive. (but don't blame me if your friend still has a slug infestation!!!!!). Your other option is to simply cut the block in half so that it's mixed up at your friend's garden from fresh also, easier to carry that way also.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks Jenjems, that's the cheapest I've seen.
                      ~
                      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                        Would have thought that they'll survive 15 minutes without any problems, dont' think that they're that sensitive. (but don't blame me if your friend still has a slug infestation!!!!!). Your other option is to simply cut the block in half so that it's mixed up at your friend's garden from fresh also, easier to carry that way also.
                        Don't cut the block in half! you must mix all the product to get even distribution of nematodes. They will be fine in a bucket transported to your friends, just make sure its well mixed again before putting it in the watering can. Don't leave it for hours though!
                        There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
                        Happy Gardening!

Comment

copper rings????
                          I have tried these for my huge leaved Hosta!
                          Said Hosta is pot grown, the pot stands (raised out of the water) in 3" deep large bowl of water. I have edged the Hostas pot with copper tape.....no off this has helped, they still get to my Hosta...dratts and double dratts!
                          I have put nail varnish numbers on some of the sanils shells, I was interessted to see if they came back! yes they do and some are 2 years old now! bit of fun really.

Comment

sounds like you have them specially adapted flying slugs plaguing you, have you tried smearing Vaseline around it - the pot that is

Comment

I am off to Boots! great Idea thanks TEB

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X