No announcement yet.

New to gardening, overgrown garden

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the silence mean I've asked a stupid question?

Anyway, my healthy looking spinach is now going yellow as well! Same as happened to the Kale, which has now all but disappeared I'll have to try starting some more in trays and transferring them when they get bigger I guess.

Comment

Ermmm, what was the question again?

Comment

Sorry, are the flies responsible for the plants dying or is it slugs/snails? I do tend to ramble a bit!

Comment

Flies tend to be around rotting vegetation or stagnant water. Have you looked at the roots of your dying plants? Any eggs, insects?

Comment

The flies I see on the veg are quite small. There is a pond in next doors garden but it does not look stagnant. The compost bin might be a source I suppose.

I dug up the one remaining Kale. It was mostly yellow. The others all went yellow and now whats left of them has disappeared. This one remaining plant turned out to be two. One had one green leaf left the rest was yellow and the second was all yellow. I did see one small white mite type thing running around. And an orange nodule on one of the plants main roots.

Comment

The flies won't attack your plants. Slugs and snails won't make them go yellow, they just eat them.

The compost in your bed looks a bit rough to me, and the lumps look suspiciously like manure that hasn't been properly rotted down.

I would also suggest that maybe you are putting your plants out too early. They would probably do better if you let them get a bit bigger in pots before transplanting.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X