help !!!! ants in me greenhouse.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help !!!! ants in me greenhouse.

found 6.75billion ants in one of me greenhouse beds today.
    1 is this bad
    2 is it very bad
    3 is it a flipping disaster
    4 what should i do.
    5 is the bed ruined
    6 oh says i made the bed now i got to sort it.
    7 don't want to sleep in it thats for sure
    help me out grapes i know you can. piglet, snadger, ntg r you there.........
    this will be a battle from the heart
    cymru am byth

Don't panic I think they eat aphids the only thing to worry about is if they make tunnels in the compost around roots the compost will dry out quicker. someone who is an expert will let you know soon.
    Belgrave-allotments.co.uk

Comment

Any plants in the bed yet?

If not then its boiling kettle time.

If there are then use a proprietry ant killer.

Altenatively just leave them be, they are unlikly to danage unless they start farming aphids on your crop plants.
      Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
      Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
      I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

It's not a disaster Phil, but if you want to get rid of them (and I would) buy a proprietary ant killer and follow the instructions.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

try greengardener dot somthing, their stuff works wonders on ants, ants dont eat aphids they farm them, very bad, if you have crops already in and dont want to boil them, try man wee, dig down a little into their run, and wee. sounds daft i know but works.
          Yo an' Bob
          Walk lightly on the earth
          take only what you need
          give all you can
          and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

I once had some lettuce almost ready to harvest, under a clotch, when I looked under, they were black with ants. They went straight to the compost heap.
            I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Does the 'aphid farming' by the ants make the aphid damage worse? What are the best orgainc ways of getting rid of the little blighters?
              http://madforsprouts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Doesnt the boiling water method just boil a few hundred in the top layers and give the other 4 billion a nice warm shower. I must admit I tend to leave the ants alone generally but occasionally dig up their colony to make them move on, the perfumed Ayatollah is always threathing them with the 4 horseman tho.

Comment

Mr Tichmarsh recommends planting Pennyroyal in your patio if ants are a problem under that - maybe some in the greenhouse would work too. Ants don't like wet soil so if there isn't anything in the bed yet you could try lots of watering. Clove oil is also supposed to repel them so try a bottle of clove oil in a can of water and water with that - it doesn't harm plants so can be used if you have already planted. Good luck.
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

Hi

I did a search and found this "Ordinary chalk can be used to keep ants at bay; drawing a line or circle around the protected area may prevent them from entering."
                    It did mention the boiling water, but you would need to pour it into the nest.

Tigerella

Comment

I'm with Yoanbob on this one. Wee in a bucket for a few days and when you have it best part full, pour it over the nest (ish) and they'll bog off, believing they've been invaded by the mother of all ants nests. I've done it a couple of times in compost bins. Problem is the plot smelled like a brewery for a while. Must have been something I ate!!!!!
                      http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

My Ma used to get ants in her kitchen. She swore by dried bayleaves. I got so annoyed at finding bits of bayleaf when I visited - dotted all over the worksurfaces, under the kettle etc. - I'd rather have had the ants! When we had them I bought a proprietary product. Very fast working and clean.
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Apparantly ants also don't like lemon juice.... too acid

Not sure if something like Jif Lemon would work, but squeeze some fresh lemon juice into the nest and they don't like it

Comment

I know I will sound dumb but what exactly do you mean when you say the ants farm aphids?? And what is a proprietary ant killer??

Comment

ants also dont like viniger it makes your garden smell a bit like a chippy but kills the ants
                              Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
                              Dobby

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X