Losing the battle of the weeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
    bury them under layers of paper and cover them with bark mulch.
    That's what I'd do (it's what I do do)
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by helensusan View Post
      Is there a type of bark chippings that doesn't contaminate the soil?
      why would bark contaminate soil? Trees are made of bark, they grow in soil .... *confuzzled*

Comment

Using bark chippings as a mulch

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        why would bark contaminate soil? Trees are made of bark, they grow in soil .... *confuzzled*
        I was under the impression that if the incorrect type of bark/chips was used, then it can lock up soil nitrogen. Can't remember the source of my info, or indeed whether it related more to composting! Not too sure but would be interested if anyone can help with that one.

Comment

that isn't contaminating though nor is it locking up. It's the bark using the nitrogen in the process of composting down.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
            that isn't contaminating though nor is it locking up. It's the bark using the nitrogen in the process of composting down.
            Understood! Perhaps used the wrong choice of words in "contaminating"

Comment

Understood! Perhaps used the wrong choice of words in "contaminating"
              It really doesn't matter if you're just using it as a weed suppressant in borders. Would perhaps matter more if you were using it on veg beds.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Wot she just said

Comment

I was under the impression that ... bark/chips ...can lock up soil nitrogen.
                  There's some truth in that, but only if the chips are buried in the soil. They don't rob nitrogen if they're used as a mulch

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X