• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ermhh and half your veg

Comment

Originally posted by Aileen35 View Post
      Simple solution, get a chicken.......... they lurv slugs
      My chooks would eat small slugs but the bigger ones seemed to be too sticky for them and they'd spend their time trying to wipe the gunk off their beaks.

Comment

This is my first year of having an allotment and I am adamant that I will not be beat by these little beggers!

I have invested in 10 slug traps, pellets and will be ordering some Nematode I am also going to take an offesive with a good pair of scissors!

I will not be beat... Well thats the theory!!
        In the following link you can follow my recent progress on the plot

https://www.youtube.com/user/darcyvuqua?feature=watch

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
          I'm planning on making my plot more frog friendly. I know I had at least one frog visiting in 2012 as my friend's children spotted it whilst we were harvesting potatoes and were desperate to catch it!

I have been toying with the idea of a pond the size of a washing up bowl...
          I have a pond using an old children's sand pit it is about two feet square and I have had frogs breed in it.
          You will need some where for the frogs to go in winter(compost/manure heap) that is frost free.
          I have a few slugs but not too many.
          Last edited by bubblewrap; 02-02-2013, 07:32 AM.
          The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
          Brian Clough

Comment

Snugs! Ugh! I lost so much produce last year it felt as though I was sowing and planting purely to feed the slugs and snails. Around the base of the veg I tried egg shells, sand, comfrey leaves, grit, cardboard and nothing worked. I kept young plants in containers with petroleum jelly smeared around the edges, which worked quite well, but as soon as I transplanted them into their beds, along came the dratted snugs This year I'm investing in nematodes to see what happens. I would like some salad this year, I had none last
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Someone once told me to use porridge oats. I sprinkled them quite thickly on my flower border and the amount of slugs eaten flowers really did decrease so I sprinkled it round my veg too. I've heard two theory's on why this works. One the slugs eat the oats which swell up inside them and kills them and two when they try to walk over them all the mucus dries up and they can't get across. Not 100% full proof but not harmful to anyone other then the slugs and snails.

Comment

Originally posted by sammy_roser View Post
                Someone once told me to use porridge oats. I sprinkled them quite thickly on my flower border and the amount of slugs eaten flowers really did decrease so I sprinkled it round my veg too. I've heard two theory's on why this works. One the slugs eat the oats which swell up inside them and kills them and two when they try to walk over them all the mucus dries up and they can't get across. Not 100% full proof but not harmful to anyone other then the slugs and snails.
                I have heard this and am going to try it, but wont the oats just invite birds/pigeon down who will then take the tops out the plants and veg?

I will try it out on a smaller bed and see.

Comment

Would oats in a slug trap work? One of those cheapy ones with a lid? Or a jar on its side so the slugs crawl in and get them?

Comment

Here you go get this down your neck

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sou...lhlJYCHkugBOCA
                    In the following link you can follow my recent progress on the plot

https://www.youtube.com/user/darcyvuqua?feature=watch

Comment

I'm planning on making my story more frog type helpful. I know I had at least one frog type viewing this year as my buddy's kids identified it while we were growing apples and were wanting to capture it!
                      Last edited by veggiechicken; 15-10-2015, 09:53 AM. Reason: Advertising link removed

Comment

Cornmeal is said to kill slugs effectively, placed in a jar on it's side to keep it dry. I love my beer traps with 99p for four cans of supermarket bitter.
                        "...Very dark, is the other side, very dark."

"Shut up, Yoda. Just eat your toast."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X