Identify the worm please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify the worm please

hi all, i discovered these worms on my seedling "pots" today, has it got anything to do with planting them in empty loo rolls? anyone knows this worm? is it pinworm by any chance? apologies for the photo, hope you get an idea of it, its quite a small worm, up to 3cm long and thin one, but not as thin as a cotton thread. i saw about 10 of them and some crawling out the carton of the loo roll. yuk!!! their heads move fast, poking around, a thin pointy head. i didnt see any "feet", tried to cut one and it got away fast. there was another one that was smaller, fatter and white. any idea what it could be, didnt damage the seedlings, but dont know if done anything to the roots. I wont be using empy loo rolls in a hurry.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by blue-and-green; 05-05-2007, 05:16 AM. Reason: edit
    Best Wishes
    Happy Growing
    blue-and-green

http://blue-and-green.blogspot.com/

No idea what it is- but it ain't ringworm 'cos that's a fungus.
    How big are the worms??
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

sorry, meant to say pinworm. they are no longer than 3cm.
      Best Wishes
      Happy Growing
      blue-and-green

Comment

Can you tell us how they moved?

To me they look like moth caterpillars- and to have 10 or so in one place would not be unusual at all. They should have very small 'feet' at each end and walk by forming into loops when they join their feet together.

They could be feeding on anything- but if you have not found damage to your seedlings then why worry?

Comment

This is a bit like the creature I found at the base of one of my broad beans (also planted out in loo rolls incidentally). One of the plants had wilted so had a dig about at the base, and found something similar - no idea what it is, or if it did the harm. Moved it away from the plants and no more problems so far (touches wood). Wondered if it was a cutworm, but doesn't look like any of the pictures of these I have seen.

I'm sure a more knowledgeable grape will be along shortly with more ideas.
          All at once I hear your voice
          And time just slips away
          Bonnie Raitt

Comment

they move like fast, i tried to cut one, and he "ran away" fast. and their heads move fast too, and like as if "testing" around them, poking around, at first i thought i saw an ant that was stuck, and as i came closer i saw one worm, two, three and more.
            Best Wishes
            Happy Growing
            blue-and-green

Comment

Originally posted by iainhawk View Post
              Can you tell us how they moved?

To me they look like moth caterpillars- and to have 10 or so in one place would not be unusual at all. They should have very small 'feet' at each end

They could be feeding on anything- but if you have not found damage to your seedlings then why worry?
              I am not that worried about my seedlings, unless they damaged the roots. But i am more concerned about breeding anything in the house due to using empty loo rolls, which i shall stop doing anyway now, i can only put it down to that. If its pinworm, which is highly contagious, well, i dont fancy having those myself. As for any other worms in the house puts me off too. And its also interesting to see what others think, experienced, and expand on my knowledge.
              Best Wishes
              Happy Growing
              blue-and-green

Comment

No idea what they are but in future I suggest you microwave the loo rolls before use!

Until recently schools and clubs were banned from using loo rolls for craft projects because of potential health risks, thay are now allowed again if the loo rolls have been nuked to kill any spores/pathogens/bugs etc...

Place loo rolls in microwave, blast at full for a minute or two, allow to cool - safe to use.

Terry
                Last edited by TPeers; 05-05-2007, 07:07 AM.
                The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

thank you for that Terry, i knew there was something dodgy about using loo-rolls, it just confirms it now to me and everyone else been doing their planting in loo-rolls, got the idea this year, never again, gonna eat 8p yogurts and use the plastic pots instead!! much better!!
                  you gotto remember that pinworm is extremely contagious, and found a lot in nurseries, schools etc.
                  Last edited by blue-and-green; 05-05-2007, 01:03 PM. Reason: edit
                  Best Wishes
                  Happy Growing
                  blue-and-green

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X