No announcement yet.

Getting rid of southern european elder?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting rid of southern european elder?

Im of to Bulgaria again this week, i want to get the garden ready to grow in next year....well more ready than it is now!

On the last trip i strimmed it all down till it looked dead, after 3 weeks of no rain it still looked dead....but i know its not dead!

Ive identified it as southern european dwarf elder, also seems to be called Danewort , it grows to about 2 meters high, new shoots every year from an under ground rhizome, i had about 1000-2000 sq meters of it in the center of the garden, like it had been planted in straight rows

Has anyone got any advice or experience in getting rid of this stuff, it doesnt seem to spread, i had a nice square patch of it, but i dont want it!

At the minute i think roundup weedkiller is the only realistic way, ive never used the stuff before and i dont realy want to as im not sure its safe to eat food grown in the ground afterwards.

Im hopeing its started to grow a bit after the strimming so i can watering can roundup onto it as i dont want to spray as the area is surrounded with fruit trees

Does this sound the best way, or will it die as ive strimmed it?

After the roundup im planning to rotorvate it after a few days, i dont want to rotorvate the live roots.....

This is a picture of the stuff, its quite large! and ive a field of it, i like elderberry but not that much...one tree will do me!
    Attached Files
    Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Its no good using roundup then rotavating after three days, it takes about three weeks to kill the roots and that is if you have given the right dose and have the optimum growing conditions for roundup to work, if you cant wait that long I would dig the elder out by hand and remove as much root as possible then spray any regrowth.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
    Working...
    X