Slugs and Sweet corn cobs,

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slugs and Sweet corn cobs,

Visited a Yellow Book garden today. Picked up a tip about slugs that may be useful!
    Once you've eaten a corn on the cob, put out the cobs in the evening, where slugs congregate. In half an hour it will be full of slugs. Pick it up, pour boiling water over it to kill the slugs and clean it and put the cob out again for another 30 minutes. Check again, and repeat the boiling water process. Apparently this has virtually cleared the plot of slugs! Worth a try?
    Also, if you're cutting a slug in two, do it behind the head, not in the middle, in case the rest crawls off and regrows (yuk!!)
    This is the garden Bunty's Blog - YouTube

Regrows??!

That's crazy. Whenever I cut them in half their innards burst out everywhere.

I think I'm getting soft in my old age - I chucked two in a bowl of water yesterday and felt guilty at the thought of them drowning, so tipped them out. I did stamp on them, but at least that's pretty much instant.

Had a bonus kill the other day, two of them copping off with each other

Comment

I did something yesterday that I still feel awful about!
      Collected 4 snails in the greenhouse and put them in a small plastic flowerpot, took them outside and dropped the pot into a bucket of water. The flowerpot landed upside down and I thought they would be trapped with no hope of escape and would drown. Went back later and each of the 4 holes in the bottom of the flower pot had a snail's head poking out through it and they were all wriggling around trying to get their shells through the holes. I felt so cruel that I picked them all out and set them free again
      Just can't get those snail's faces out of my mind now

Comment

regrows???? any ive accidently stabbed or chopped have deffiantly died, im afraid im the drowning type, only because slugs just give me the jeebys i can barely look or touch them. salty water bucket and left, i do feel guilty this way but i cant handle the squishing etc

any other bug im fine with slugs nope

i have a sunflower peanut feeder id left it on the floor as a job to do as nuts had gawn mouldy and i found a snail had somehow got too greedy me thinks as when i tried to pull it away it wouldnt come away it was a mangled mess,
        Last edited by areia; 20-08-2012, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X