Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pea & Bean weevil treatment

Hi
    Could any one advise me as to how to treat pea & bean weevil in a row of young pea plants
    Cheers, SueM

I'm organic, so wouldn't use a spray.
    Get a pot/bucket of water, put under your plant, shake plant, and the little devils will drop into the water. Drown or tip out and crush under your boot.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

There really isn't much you can do once they've taken hold, if you were plating out you possibly could cover with fleece/fine mesh to exclude them and take it off once the peas had got established.

Apparently derris has some effect, but don't rely on it. Perhaps a pyrethrum based insecticide (some are organically approved) might have some effect, or try the knock them off onto sticky card routine.

If the plants are growing strongly they will get over an initial attack. I have the same problem at my allotment - its over-run with pea & bean weevils!
      There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
      Happy Gardening!

Comment

Hi you folks. we're back on these little b*ggers. They have even been nibbling my runners this year-never known anything like it.

Comment

try a nicotine spray made by boiling up fag ends, according to 'The organic gardeners handbook' it works on pea bean weevils and thrips, aphids as well as scale insects. Wear gloves as it apparently nasty smelly stuff. I am going to try it as the weevils have teamed up with the pigeons to decimate my peas.

Comment

One of the London plotholders on the Big Dig used the nicotine spray, it seemed to work a treat too, tho it isnt something you want to get on yourself!
            Blessings
            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
            Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
            Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
            On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X