Aphids help

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aphids help

Just noticed a couple of leaves on my runner beans looking a bit droopy, being a newbie I thought I'd over watered them or something.

Instead its Aphids squashed 3 on one leaf, then sprayed the whole plant with soapy water will that be enough or should I buy something?
    Location....East Midlands.

See how it looks tomorrow. It's all about balance really. Get rid of what you can but if there were no aphids all the nice things that eat them would die out too. Bats and small birds would be lost without aphids. I try to tolerate a small amount but soapy water will certainly help to get rid of them on your beans.

Don't Panic!

Flum
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks Flum its my first time growing so I'm a bit protective of my 6 runner bean plants.
      This morning I've started off another half dozen in loo roll tubes in case I lose the first ones.

Comment

Still over watering is a distict possibility. loads of Aphids will cause disfiguration but not really droopyness. Although they spread virus Flum is right they should be in balance with nature. There are loads of things that eat them - lacewings hoverflies ladybugs etc as well as above- encourage predators with companion planting. Keep your glasshouse and equipment clean and hunt 'em down they are BORN pregnant!

Also watch the ants who farm and protect them
        Last edited by Paulottie; 26-04-2007, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Paul I'm sure its over watering after all I lifted the plant buckets that had droopy leave they did feel heavier than the others.
          I've just read about those moisture metres so I've added one of those to my shopping list.

Comment

Make sure you have really good drainage, Bren. As previous posts have said, aphids are a pain, but they don't usually cause plants to droop. This is much more likely to be caused by overwatering, drying out, or root rot.

Comment

Rustylady I 'think' I've got enough drainage, I've drilled 4 holes half inch from the base of the pots then filled to above that level with pebbles.

I'll have to be more careful in future with the watering can.

Thanks for all your help

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X