Asparagus help

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asparagus help

Hi I hope someone can help with my asparagus problem. It has been grown from seed the year before last. The small shoots were fine last year but this year from the outset they have suffered. I assumed it to be the work of the aspragus beetle but have seen no visible signs of this. Since derris is no longer available I have sprayed with "bug killer" which contains 0.2g/l concentration of pyrethrins but this does not seem to have had any effect. Dammage also extends under the soil with the shoots taking on a rusty colour. I have attached some pictures. Any suggestions greatly apreciated

serenity
    Attached Files

Looks like slug or snail damage to me. Whereabouts are you?

Comment

I concur with slugs and snails. The beetle doesn't normally appear until the ferns have established. Beautiful bugs by the way, I try to squish the larvae which eat the ferns and then go dry and yellow (the ferns not the larvae). I don't think the beetle does any damage.
      Last edited by Capsid; 20-05-2012, 04:24 PM.
      Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Im in Sheffield, Ive put down some beer traps but they were empty on last inspection. It's really upsetting as anyone who has grown Asparagus knows its a waiting game and i thought i may have been able to cut just a few spears this year but none of them are in any state to eat !!

Comment

Serenity, can you add your location to your profile please? Then it will show up on your posts (you can see from mine that I'm in Lowestoft). Where are your asparagus growing (pots, beds in open ground, or what)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X