Scarlet Lily Beetle

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scarlet Lily Beetle

After many years of wanting snakeshead fritillaries in my garden I've finally managed to get some to grow - yeay... only last night whilst watering the garden I noticed a couple of scarlet lily beetles chomping away... having googled them since I realise these are awful for my much loved fritillaries so wondered if anyone knew of an organic way of dealing with this? I've read about Neem products but after searching the Organic Gardening catalogue I can't find anything containing this. Anyway know where I could get hold of some?

Thanks in advance for saving my fritillaries.

I'm watching this with interest too!
    I've 'destroyed' 41 lily beetles this weekend!!! ( trowel and paving slab method!)
    Also noticed a few tiny snails chomping away at the same time
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Is this any relation to the Scarlet Lily Allen? Or am I in the wrong world again?

Zebedee
      "Raised to a state of heavenly lunacy where I just can't be touched!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
        I'm watching this with interest too!
        I've 'destroyed' 41 lily beetles this weekend!!! ( trowel and paving slab method!)
        Also noticed a few tiny snails chomping away at the same time
        Think that's the best way of sorting them - at least they're easy to spot being bright red!!!

And yes, Zebedee, you are again in a parallel universe although she's a bit of a pest also.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I use the finger and thumb method.

*nip*

Comment

But I LIKE my world, Alison! Everyone is nice to me, and it's a warm fluffy place.

Zebedee
            "Raised to a state of heavenly lunacy where I just can't be touched!"

Comment

Broadbeanster, I was reading on another web site about a product with neem oil in it. It was called Pyrethryn (not sure about the spelling) Don't know where you can buy it but its worth a try.
              Hope this is some help.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Thanks Bramble... I will check that out... I have in the meantime resorted to the bottom of my sandals and the concrete path... will I now be barred entry to vegetarian heaven???

Comment

Broad beanster did you get to user the stuff bramble had seen advertived? Just spootted beetles on my lillies too. Grrrrrrrrrrr just gogled it to make sure I had i'd it correctly. Just going out for a good look around at all my pots.
                  Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
                  -- Alfred E. Neumann
                  http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

I used to have SH fritilaries in garden too -they all disapeared I know we have those little red blighters on our lillies and we have been using Tyto's finger and thumb dispaching method for a number of years. But I was not aware that the two events were connected.

Comment

My dad and myself saw our first lillybeetle at his house yesterday, first for his area that is.

Strangley it was on his car. Do you think they have changed their diet..?
                      Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

long pair of forceps and squish the bu....s
                        Last edited by shirley; 29-04-2007, 04:49 PM.
                        Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful..William Morris

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X