Can anyone identify this weed?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone identify this weed?

Can anyone identify this weed? Any ideas of how to get rid off it? It grows quite thick like a blanket. Its not sticky like a sticky bud weed. Can anyone tell me off a weed killer i can use now that will be 100% safe to grow in(veg etc) at spring time?
    Attached Files

Not much idea what it is (although I get the feeling I SHOULD know), but it looks annual so, unless it has seeded why would you need weedkiller rather than just pulling it up (or hoeing), and if it has seeded you'll get seedlings in spring anyway.
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Hi hilary

we have pulled it up but it spread thousands of seeds as we did it. Its in the worst place it could be and thats in a polytunnel.

Comment

Try mulching all your beds with grass clipping or straw; or own compost

Here - the whole area was weeded in June.

The area to the right of the line was mulched with grass clippings and left. The area to the left [which we decided we weren't going to use] was left.

The trug and wheelie bin are to show the height of the lovely Fat Hen that has grown there for years.

Now, after this - the whole area is being covered in grass clippings; after this trial showed how good it is.

This is at a Sports Venue, in Coventry, that lets out growing areas to community groups.
        Attached Files

Comment

don't quote me but it might be ragweed

Comment

Thanks zazen999

Comment

Hi taff

any idea of the best way to get rid off it? or any weed killer that will be ok to grow veg in at spring time

Comment

I'm really not a weedkiller type of person any more, so no idea sorry. I dont think any of them would be safe to use, just because we're always told they're safe, until a few years down the line when it's suddenly discovered they aren't safe at all, like aminopyralid, like roundup etc.
                You could go with zazens mulch it to death if it's in your beds, dont dig into them, just smother with something, whether that be grass clippings, manure [which brings it's own weeds seeds], plastic, cardboard etc.
                If you aren't growing until spring, you'll have better soil if you do the above anyway....

Comment

waste of time using weedkiller now as you say it spread seeds as you lifted these will sprout in the spring,So either mulch or get weeding in the spring,,Dont let any weeds get to flower stage

Comment

It's not a Mayweed is it? I wouldn't go with a weedkiller either - at least not until spring when it all starts sprouting again.
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Will I be able to use poultry manure or pigeon manure? I don't think it is a mayweed flummery.

Comment

Cleavers/sticky willy/goose grass? this will succumb to round up

Comment

No, it's definitely not cleavers
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X