Advice needed re onion white rot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed re onion white rot

So, for better or worse we recently got ourselves a second plot. It's a bit closer to home, more sheltered and as a bonus the soil isn't full of glass and crap. I'm not planning on giving up the first yet - if ever - but it may come to it that I do, but for now we'll be working them both.

We were up at the new one yesterday and one of the blokies told us they get this white mould on onions. He said that to eradicate it everyone would have to stop growing onions for years. He said they still grew them but in larger quantities and simply cut the mouldy bit out. I asked if it was white rot and he said 'probably yes'.

I was a bit peeved cos one of the reasons we had for getting plot 2 was to grow more onions, but what I'm more concerned about is now spreading it on to plot 1. Is this likely to happen if we use the same tools/shoes/wellies and if so does washing them sort that out? Will a bit of soapy water do or do I need to use something stronger like bleach?

Any advice much appreciated.

I wonder if the garlic method would be worth using on the tools/wellies as well.. I know zazen is trailing it out on her soil, if it can help control it there, it must help out on tools too?

I've read about growing onions from seed, and planting them in holes with fresh compost when the roots are smallish can help again WR, but I've no personal experience of it sorry.

Comment

We have 2 plots and 1 has White rot and 1 doesn't seem to so have to be very careful of using tools on 1 and transferring to the other

Last year I planted shallot and onion sets in plot 1 and all succumbed to the White rot and that's how we found out we had it

This year in plot 2 ( which i was told had " a bit" of White rot I brought all sets on in fresh compost at home in modules and transferred all to the plot using extra compost in the hole at out of 180 onion sets I lost very few and ones thad did have a touch on them were used for onion relish or onion marmalade
      The rest seem very comfy in nets hanging up in the bottom shed at the moment but keeping an eye n them just incase

My advice is bring on some sets in fresh compost in modules in spring and transfer out when at about 10-12 inches high and see what happens
      Last edited by The Large One; 11-09-2011, 03:12 PM.

Comment

On my plots there seem to be areas which are far worse than others. The simple answer to your question though is yes, it can be spread on tools and foorwear etc. I'm very interested in this trial using garlic to force the sclerotia into action before planting the onion crop thereby nullifying the threat in that season.

Comment

Thanks for the replies peeps. I'm thinking of trying the garlic solution thingy - need to get cracking though- we're still prepping the plot, it needs weeding all over and marking out. I might even try sowing caliente mustard though I'm not sure if the timing would work as you have to sow in march, as it probably won't overwinter up here if we have a winter like last year. Looks like we're going to have to get some more tools and wellies - got birthdays coming up so might request gardening vouchers from the 'rents and outlaws.

I'm just not sure how careful I need to be. For example, would I need to disenfect the pedals in my car. What about muddy clothes? Do I need to keep gloves separate? It could end up being a real pain but I suppose it's worth it if it stops it spreading.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X