Ants in compost heap.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ants in compost heap.

Hi,I was wondering someone could help me please. I have had a compost heap in my garden for years and have put grass cuttings etc in there. I have also put some big twigs/sticks that wont break down and now I want to use my compost heap properly it's over run with ants! I know worms are good for the soil but not ants. Could some helpful grape please advise me on what to do? I am thinking about just putiing ant powder in there and emptying it and starting again.

Sorry....its compost bin!!!!

Comment

As far as I know ants are really good for breaking down the soil. I once took up a lawn and up-ended the sods (grass!) over winter. The next spring it was beatiful soil colonised by ants. When the queen grew wings they swarmed and few away. It is all part of nature.
      Both our daleks have got ants in them, and I really don't think its a probem.
      One of the other grapes will now tell me different!!

Comment

A recent leaflet on compost suggests that if ants occupy your compost bin that the contents are possibly too dry. It suggests turning the contents and ensuring you get a good mix of brown and green waste. Also ensure the contents are moist and not dry. It states that most insects and minibeasts including small white flies, should have vacated you bin after around 6 months as the contents should now be quite rotted. This excludes worms though.
        Hope this helps.

Comment

Sory about this chicky, but I heard many years ago about how to get compost to break down quickly and prevent ants moving in. It seems the answer is.. err...erm.. well... urine. If you can see your way clear to collecting a couple of gallons in a bucket, pour it over the compost and your little friends will move house. Where you keep the bucket as it fills is up to you!!!!!
          http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

hi there!
            if you have a problem with green fly and black fly etc i just got a tip of snadger that ants will come and carry them off for you!
            not really practical putting your plant by the compost, or trying to relocate an ant colony, but just a thought!
            cheers buttercup

Comment

I had ants in my Dalek last year, but they'd moved out by the time I was ready to use the compost.

Comment

Hello Vickie Lorraine, I was interested in your mention of "small white flies" in the compost bins. I have them, but I'm pretty sure it's not "white fly" or "fruit fly". Can you have another look at your leaflet and see if there is any further info. Would be much obliged.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Ants & Urine

Originally posted by Norm View Post
                  Sory about this chicky, but I heard many years ago about how to get compost to break down quickly and prevent ants moving in. It seems the answer is.. err...erm.. well... urine. If you can see your way clear to collecting a couple of gallons in a bucket, pour it over the compost and your little friends will move house. Where you keep the bucket as it fills is up to you!!!!!
                  If you use urine then you must dilute it 4- 1, this info I found by a telephone call to my council.
                  LWB

Comment

Well thanks for all the above peeps, just logged onto ask about ants in compost and here it was! We had a nest in our Darlek, and moved the compost to our tumbler and hey are still there. They are now colonising our "finished compost" darlek. Looks like its not a prob though and OH is happy to wee in the watewring can! (Dituted not neat!)

So perhaps we'll leave them be instead of tryng to get rid. We were concerned they would effect the worms theres so many of them. Also makes me feel damn itchy whenever we take the lid off, plus they are all over the floor around the area. I spose they do a useful clearing up job in effect really.

Thanks everyone.
                    http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X