Tomato Trouble

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomato Trouble

Hi. I am new to this forum. I am trying to find out what has happened to two of my tomato plants in the hopes of protecting the rest. Yesterday, I was checking my garden (I have an outdoor plot about 300 sq. ft.-half in raised box beds and the other in hills) and I noticed two of my tomato plants in a box were starting to wilt. We had just had a very big rainstorm with lots of strong wind, so I thought maybe that was the cause. I staked them up well and kept an eye on them. Today, they were dead and when I cut them off at the base there was a slit up the stalk with a brown spot in the middle of the slit (right at the ground level) and the entire stalk was mushy and jelly-like. In fact, the branches were all sliding off because the stalk was so mushy. Does anyone have any idea what would cause this type of response? We have had a pretty wet spring/early summer and the past week has been somewhat chilly-would that do it or is this some type of disease or burrowing bug?
    Here are some pictures that hopefully might help:
    Attached Files

EEwww...not nice.
    Looks a bit like Fusarium wilt???

How to Prevent Fusarium Wilt | eHow.com

If it is then this may be of interest....
    Scott Aker - Fighting Off Fusarium Wilt - washingtonpost.com

Where abouts are you- it may help with the reply ( can you put your location in your profile please?.

Oh- and welcome to the Vine
    Last edited by Nicos; 27-06-2011, 06:59 AM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I will look into those links. Also, my profile has been updated-sorry about that.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X