cauliflowers, eaten...but by what!?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cauliflowers, eaten...but by what!?

This year i'm growing a small amount of a large variety of vegetables, because of this, I sowed three seeds of 'all the year round' cauli's.

All three came up nicely, they were all potted on nicely and planted out a week and a half ago.
    They each had a few slug pellets dotted around them and a ring of slug sticky gel put around them.

Two days later one of the plants had all the leaves bitten off at ground level, and the remaining leaves had been eaten round the edges looking like slug damage.

yesterday I found plant number two has suffered the same fate.

Only plant number three left now, my early cauli chances are all resting on this one plant (more seeds sown for later cauli's).

I just cant see that slugs would have got to them, theres no sign of slugs. All raised beds are covered with wire mesh to stop cats and birds.

The soil was a mix of peat, topsoil and compost mixed with the existing soil, its raised beds 6'' high and the area has been veg for 2 years, before this it was under shingle.
    any ideas!!?

jon
    <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Could it be catapillars, I found loads in the garden amoung my polyanthas, they were in the soil and hard to see.
    Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
    and ends with backache

Comment

Im having the same problem with my lettuces - i think mine are caterpillar/maggot/larvae type thingies ....havent identified them yet but they hide in the soil. Have now put bottle cloches over all of them and pushed them right in so the little bu**ers will have to really dig in to get close.
      PS Nice carp ...my OH fishes from the bottom of the garden but nothing the size of that.
      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking maybe something soil bound, I don't really want to start digging around too much, theres still one looking very strong.
        I suppose the trouble with covering over the beds with mesh I'm keeping the birds away from the creepy crawlies!!

That fish is just a pup, a good photo, but nothing like the size of the carp you have!!
        <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

It could well be cutworm - I've been turning over the soil at the school veg patch and there's loads of them, snuggled under the surface
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

right, the plan is, get in from work tomorrow, cook tea, dig around in raised bed... whatever it is, are they likely to eat my broad beans, garlic and shallots already out in the beds!?

ps - two sheds, thanks again for the avatar advice... worked a treat!!
            <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

A little digging around and we have a winner...

couldnt find any more, heres hoping!!
              <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X