What is it?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it?

Hi, can you help a gardening novice please?

I'm trying to find out what this plant is, what's wrong with it and how I can sort it out? I'm pretty sure that its leaves haven't always been like this, but there's another one further up the garden which seems to be the same.

Thanks so much!
    Attached Files

Looks like frost damage to me.

Comment

I was thinking St Johns Wort, but I can't see much from the photo, sorry. Can you do some close ups, esp of the berries? And one from a few feet away, showing the whole plant?
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 20-03-2011, 08:03 AM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Yes I'd say it was Hypericum (Rose of Sharon) also as TS says called St Johns Wort

Comment

That's two votes for hypericum then. If it is, it's hardy so is OK outside even in frost. Just give it a good hard prune and tidy up
          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 20-03-2011, 08:14 AM.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hypericum from me too, I cut mine right down about 3 inches from the ground this time of year

Comment

Hypericums are only one of the plants that have had a hard time this year. Some of our village beds now look like rows of sticks as some things (Ceanothus for instance) have had to be hard chopped back. If it survived it will be fine after a haircut. The flowers are worth it, lovely yellow ones, and some varieties have good brown/red berries too.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi All, thanks so much for your help and advice. Shall give it a good prune then and hopefully it'll look a bit happier.

Many thanks again!

Claire
                xx

Comment

And don't let it seed or, like me, you'll be digging it up for evermore!!

Comment

I'd agree with everyone else, it does look very much like an hypericum with frost damage. It'll thank you for a short back and sides.
                    "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X