Minute pearshaped white bugs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minute pearshaped white bugs

Hello one and all, I'm new here and hoping someone has the answer.

I bought four small chilli plants in tiny pots which i repotted when i got them home. The compost i used to repot is also being used to grow some chillis i'm growing from seed, no beasties in these pots, but the bought plants have tiny white translucant pearshaped creapies, dozens in every pot, they are really small, im using a 20x loupe to see them, and would just like to know if they are bad news. They are very mobile and look like they have protruding mouth parts, though difficult to see due to size. Anybody know what they are.

Originally posted by muncher View Post
    Hello one and all, I'm new here and hoping someone has the answer.

I bought four small chilli plants in tiny pots which i repotted when i got them home. The compost i used to repot is also being used to grow some chillis i'm growing from seed, no beasties in these pots, but the bought plants have tiny white translucant pearshaped creapies, dozens in every pot, they are really small, im using a 20x loupe to see them, and would just like to know if they are bad news. They are very mobile and look like they have protruding mouth parts, though difficult to see due to size. Anybody know what they are.
    I probably wouldn't know even if I saw them but you need to get rid pronto. A quick spray of Provado ultimate bug killer should do the trick

Comment

Thanks for your reply Aberdeenplotter.

Not to keen to spray with anything until I find out exactly what they are, which i'm not having much luck with. I'll try googling some more to see if I can pin the little critters down to a name. I would like to put a photo of them up but they are so tiny my camera just would not pick them up. If I find a picture of them i will put it on here for future reference.

Comment

How do they move? If they 'jump' then they could be springtails. They live off the dead and decomposing vegetation in the soil but I don't think would do any harm to your plants.
        come visit a garden
        or read about mine www.suburbanvegplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Perkin.

No they don't jump, they just wander in and around the surface of the compost, don't know what they live on but I don't think It's the plants.

Thanks for reply.

Comment

Probably white fly, might have to spray with something

Comment

if there is the remotest chance they are white fly kill them now

Comment

Sounds like aphids to me muncher. Do they look like this? Aphids

I've just given my over-wintering chilli plants a wipe over with very diluted washing up liquid. It breaks down the oils that protect the aphid and it dies .

Comment

Originally posted by muncher View Post
                  Thanks for your reply Aberdeenplotter.

Not to keen to spray with anything until I find out exactly what they are, which i'm not having much luck with. I'll try googling some more to see if I can pin the little critters down to a name. I would like to put a photo of them up but they are so tiny my camera just would not pick them up. If I find a picture of them i will put it on here for future reference.
                  In the meantime, they could be breeding and multiplying

Comment

Thanks to Hole Digger, Pies, Pumpkin Becki and Aberdeenplotter.

They are not aphids, probably a tenth the size, you could get a dozen of them on the end of a pin, think their a type of mite and they don't try to colonize the plants. I'm guessing that after ten days since I spotted them they don't seem to be doing any harm so I think I'll just keep an eye on them while I try to properly identify them. If I do I'll come back and let you know.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X