Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• murphy
    replied
    It's definately rats, I hunt rats with my ferrets and dogs, the photo's you have shown are classic ratty.
    Go to your local ban q or hardware store they will sell the bait that you require to get rid of the buggers, or alternatively find someone with a terrier and a ferret or a smoker, they will soon rid you of them and it will be efficient and hunmane as well.

Leave a comment:

• greenmachine
    replied
    It could be a mole

Have you thought that it might be a mole , we had similar holes and one of my cats found a mole and brought it into the house as a living present. Ugh just found a decapated mouse in the hall. Isn't spring fun when you have pussies.

Leave a comment:

• OverWyreGrower
    replied
    After reading this, just thought I'd let you know....

Rodents aren't incontinent. They have very small bladders, so need to wee a lot, but they do have some control over their bladders!

Also, rat poo is like raisins. Fairly consistent with size and shape. They will be much larger than empty husks (and rounder too)

Mouse poo is teeny, and can indeed look like bits of shell/husk etc

*Cough* just thought I'd clear that up...

Leave a comment:

• Protea
    replied
    I resorted to filling the holes in last week, as still no visual identification.

Yesterday i saw it has dug another hole (presumably to get out of the filled in tunnel!).

The problem with the droppings is that the hole is next to the bird feeder (which i have not been filling) and there are black sunflower seeds/husks all over the ground - which i think will look very similar to rat poo!

I'm fairly certain its rats, i can't imagine what else it might be. I'm going to use this: http://www.eradi-products.com as its rat specific and safe to other wildlife. I can't be doing with trapping rats and releasing them.

Leave a comment:

• madderbat
    replied
    Originally posted by Protea View Post
    Hi TPeers,

I've still not been able to identify the animal - have shone the torch out there in the evenings and not a sign, there has been some movement overnight though because the sand has footprint marks in it - of what i'm not sure though!
    t!
    Rat poo is almost oval in shape, and can be the size of your thumb end - much bigger than little mouse droppings, but smaller than dog/fox poo.
    Can you post a photo of the spoor (footprints) and poo?

Leave a comment:

• madderbat
    replied
    Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
    Council are should be obliged to remove rats(or squirrels) free as they are vermin
    Sorry, BW is wrong on this one. I checked it out on google and found this link
    http://www.cieh.org/ehp/public_healt...0_councils.htm
    which states that

"There is no legal obligation on local authorities to provide a pest control service. The Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949 places obligations and duties on councils to ensure, as far as is practical, that their district is kept clear of rats and mice. They are required to carry out inspections but, in reality, most councils use complaints as their barometer. A few councils have opted not to provide a pest control service, preferring to use enforcement powers and advice instead. If adopted by more councils this decision, concludes the report, could result in rising rodent populations."

So it's another postcode lottery, determined by accountants!

Fortunately when I had rats in my flat the council sent a man with a terrier. Large banging/squealing noises, end of rat. Bit of a mess on the wall, but boy, was I glad to be rid of it!
    Last edited by madderbat; 19-03-2007, 10:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bubblewrap
    replied
    Originally posted by Protea View Post
    Have just been out for a better look - i can now see what looks like droppings at the base of the largest hole - i think it's rats - bu**er!

Had a look on the council's website and they charge £39 plus VAT to remove rats

I've put down sand round the holes to re-inspect tomorrow and i won't be filling the bird feeders up (poor birdies ) until its sorted.

Sugestions for cheap eratication please!
    Council are should be obliged to remove rats(or squirrels) free as they are vermin

Leave a comment:

• stigoftheplot
    replied
    I've had rats in my garden & had the council in to bait them. Last time I vowed never again. The man was telling me the poison causes internal bleeding which can take up to 10 days to kill it. That sounds just plain cruel. How would you like to slowly bleed to death for a week & a half! The trap I have to catch live mice says they need to be released over 3 miles away or they'll return. Presumably rats would be the same. Dont put cooked food in compost as this attracts them, or if it's a newly cleared site, they'll probably just move anyway. But if you must kill it, make it quick! Poison is cruel & slow, risks other wildlife and you end up with a poisoned dead body on your plot.

Leave a comment:

• Protea
    replied
    Hi TPeers,

I've still not been able to identify the animal - have shone the torch out there in the evenings and not a sign, there has been some movement overnight though because the sand has footprint marks in it - of what i'm not sure though!

I'm fairly sure its not a fox, for one the hole is quite small and there is no foxy smell (i know what fox smells like - believe me!). Badgers- again, the hole is quite small so i doubt it but i'll keep it in mind.

In an act of defiance i filled the holes in today with compost and put old roof tiles on top of the soil, i also blocked up a gap in the fence where one of the paths was leading along the flowe bed. I'll report back tomorrow or at the weekend when i've had a chance to check it!

Leave a comment:

• TPeers
    replied
    Hi Protea,

Might sound daft, but that hole looks more like fox work or possibly a dog. Not saying you don't have a rat problem but it might not be the only thing!

Really idiot question, I know that badgers dig and that they make paths, also once they have decided on a route they can be hard to shift. Could a badger be involved? (Had one that 'walked' our garden until the neighbours built a new fence)

Good luck finding a solution

Terry

Leave a comment:

• Protea
    replied
    Originally posted by sewer rat View Post
    Depends on if you wanna kill them (and there WILL be more than one) or release them. If you wanna kill them, a rat trap will do the job as will rat poison. Now I know folks on here are concerned about other wildlife getting to the bait, but if you put the bait (still in it's unopened cellophane bag) inside a foot length of pipe - 3" diameter - the birdies etc don't seem to bother it - just the rats and mice.
    Me - I'd kill them - shoot them (air rifle) or smack them with a big stick

Cheers SW - i have no problem killing them, i live next to fields so they'd only come back again if i released them!

My concern with poison is also next doors cats which may eat a rat if they found it. however i have found this: http://www.eradi-products.com they are actually from a supplier to the horticultural trade who i already know (seeing them next week too), and its only £5.99 for a tub of thier bait. The only problem is keeping it dry - i don't have any spare drainpipe, can you suggest anything else that they wouldn't think is suspicious? i've got various plastic plant pots to hand, probably a cardboard box (although not weather proof!)

I remember when i was younger and at the stables where i kept my pony, seeing the partner of the girl that ran the yard running full pelt up the field with a headcollar in his hand thwacking it on the ground - he was chasing a rat apparently!!! must have been a monster!!
    Last edited by Protea; 12-03-2007, 06:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sewer rat
    replied
    Depends on if you wanna kill them (and there WILL be more than one) or release them. If you wanna kill them, a rat trap will do the job as will rat poison. Now I know folks on here are concerned about other wildlife getting to the bait, but if you put the bait (still in it's unopened cellophane bag) inside a foot length of pipe - 3" diameter - the birdies etc don't seem to bother it - just the rats and mice.
    Me - I'd kill them - shoot them (air rifle) or smack them with a big stick

Leave a comment:

• Protea
    replied
    Have just been out for a better look - i can now see what looks like droppings at the base of the largest hole - i think it's rats - bu**er!

Had a look on the council's website and they charge £39 plus VAT to remove rats

I've put down sand round the holes to re-inspect tomorrow and i won't be filling the bird feeders up (poor birdies ) until its sorted.

Sugestions for cheap eratication please!

Leave a comment:

• smallblueplanet
    replied
    Call the council anyway, tell them you think its rats (we had some around our birdfeeder when we lived in Derbyshire - big yuk and nasty too!) - won't they come out and look and tell you what it is?

Leave a comment:

• SueA
    replied
    Hi Protea, maybe you could sprinkle some talc or sand or something on the soil around the hole so that you would be able to see any footprints & maybe identify the culprit from them?(Been watching too many forensic science programmes!)

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X