Strange hole in flower bed - rodent??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Protea View Post
    Have just been out for a better look - i can now see what looks like droppings at the base of the largest hole - i think it's rats - bu**er!

Had a look on the council's website and they charge £39 plus VAT to remove rats

I've put down sand round the holes to re-inspect tomorrow and i won't be filling the bird feeders up (poor birdies ) until its sorted.

Sugestions for cheap eratication please!
    Council are should be obliged to remove rats(or squirrels) free as they are vermin
    The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
    Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
      Council are should be obliged to remove rats(or squirrels) free as they are vermin
      Sorry, BW is wrong on this one. I checked it out on google and found this link
      http://www.cieh.org/ehp/public_healt...0_councils.htm
      which states that

"There is no legal obligation on local authorities to provide a pest control service. The Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949 places obligations and duties on councils to ensure, as far as is practical, that their district is kept clear of rats and mice. They are required to carry out inspections but, in reality, most councils use complaints as their barometer. A few councils have opted not to provide a pest control service, preferring to use enforcement powers and advice instead. If adopted by more councils this decision, concludes the report, could result in rising rodent populations."

So it's another postcode lottery, determined by accountants!

Fortunately when I had rats in my flat the council sent a man with a terrier. Large banging/squealing noises, end of rat. Bit of a mess on the wall, but boy, was I glad to be rid of it!
      Last edited by madderbat; 19-03-2007, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Protea View Post
        Hi TPeers,

I've still not been able to identify the animal - have shone the torch out there in the evenings and not a sign, there has been some movement overnight though because the sand has footprint marks in it - of what i'm not sure though!
        t!
        Rat poo is almost oval in shape, and can be the size of your thumb end - much bigger than little mouse droppings, but smaller than dog/fox poo.
        Can you post a photo of the spoor (footprints) and poo?

Comment

I resorted to filling the holes in last week, as still no visual identification.

Yesterday i saw it has dug another hole (presumably to get out of the filled in tunnel!).

The problem with the droppings is that the hole is next to the bird feeder (which i have not been filling) and there are black sunflower seeds/husks all over the ground - which i think will look very similar to rat poo!

I'm fairly certain its rats, i can't imagine what else it might be. I'm going to use this: http://www.eradi-products.com as its rat specific and safe to other wildlife. I can't be doing with trapping rats and releasing them.
          There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
          Happy Gardening!

Comment

After reading this, just thought I'd let you know....

Rodents aren't incontinent. They have very small bladders, so need to wee a lot, but they do have some control over their bladders!

Also, rat poo is like raisins. Fairly consistent with size and shape. They will be much larger than empty husks (and rounder too)

Mouse poo is teeny, and can indeed look like bits of shell/husk etc

*Cough* just thought I'd clear that up...

Comment

It could be a mole

Have you thought that it might be a mole , we had similar holes and one of my cats found a mole and brought it into the house as a living present. Ugh just found a decapated mouse in the hall. Isn't spring fun when you have pussies.

Comment

It's definately rats, I hunt rats with my ferrets and dogs, the photo's you have shown are classic ratty.
                Go to your local ban q or hardware store they will sell the bait that you require to get rid of the buggers, or alternatively find someone with a terrier and a ferret or a smoker, they will soon rid you of them and it will be efficient and hunmane as well.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X