Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweetcorn

What's eating the tips of my sweetcorn?

Harvest a few yday and noticed the corns missing from the tip but thought it was probably due to he weather. When I stripped them in the kitchen I noticed a couple of what looked like large headlice - yewk! What are they?
    aka Neil

my corn was also nibbled this year. every head had an earwig in it and lots of the kernels had either been eaten or failed to 'pop' ~ hard to tell which.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Woodlice? Or the dreaded corn weevil?
      Four legged pests include squirrels.
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

corn weavil

earwig

woodlouse
        Attached Files

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Something nibbled the tassles(silks?) off my late ripening sweetcorn (i..e ones I planted later on) - the tips didn't ripen at all, no corns popped out in them, earwigs in them all..

I just snapped the top end off, cut the cob in two and froze it!

Comment

Looking at those pictures I think they are very small earwigs
            aka Neil

Comment

I had the same problem. Think it was earwigs, but where on earth did they come from and why did they choose to eat my sweetcorn this year - they never have before.

Comment

in a way I am glad it wasnt just mine and that others had the same issue this year. I guess it is one of the great mysteries of nature why things like this happen some years to everyone and not other years. Better luck next season folks.

Comment

Earwigs got in the tops of my cobs too, making them rot a bit. Little boggers, I hate earwigs
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

They munched mine too
                    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Is there any way of stopping this? I love corn on the cob; last years were small but delicious, and I would like to try again next year.

Comment

My earlier ones didn't suffer from them, the ear wigs seemed to move in later on, not sure if that's anything to do with it.

Are there nemotodes/similar for earwigs?

Comment

Originally posted by weekendwellies View Post
                          Is there any way of stopping this
                          Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                          Are there nemotodes/similar for earwigs?
                          Earwigs aren't a total pest in the garden, but if they are out of control, stuff a flower pot with shredded paper or straw, and impale it upside down on a stick/cane about 2ft off the ground (cob height).

They will congregate inside and you can then dispose of them as you wish
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                            Earwigs aren't a total pest in the garden, but if they are out of control, stuff a flower pot with shredded paper or straw, and impale it upside down on a stick/cane about 2ft off the ground (cob height).

They will congregate inside and you can then dispose of them as you wish

Thanks TS. I dont like to tamper with the wildlife as everything has its uses, and as you say, earwigs have their own jobs to do. This sounds like a good compromise, if it keeps them off my corn, they can feast on whatever else appeals to them. Thanks

Comment

I don't plan on eradicating them - just a general question really! Whenever I pull a cob off, if there's some in there and they drop to the floor my chickens seem to enjoy them - so that's working for me currently

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X