Japanese Knotweed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese Knotweed

It's in next door's garden, peeping over the top of the dividing fence. I think my idiot neighbour has deliberately planted it there, as a decorative climber, presumably not aware that he's breaking the law by so doing. I trim back the growth that comes over my side, and dispose of it in the green wheelie-bin, but how worried should I be?
    Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Environment Agency - Japanese Knotweed

reading that suggests he has to have it removed,and its not cheap

I dont think you are allowed to put cuttings in the green bin i think it has to be delt with by an approved agent

Comment

Originally posted by StephenH View Post
      It's in next door's garden, peeping over the top of the dividing fence. I think my idiot neighbour has deliberately planted it there, as a decorative climber, presumably not aware that he's breaking the law by so doing. I trim back the growth that comes over my side, and dispose of it in the green wheelie-bin, but how worried should I be?
      In fact you are both breaking the law, it has to be disposed off either at a licensed landfill site or by burning/incineration. Read a while back that a houseowner couldn't get a remortage because he had this stuff growing on his land.

Comment

I'd print off the legal info and say you were trying to ID it and -horror of horrors - came up with this...and pass it to him saying something like- cripes....we'd better do something about this...

Interestingly - it is a plant available in Garden Centres here...and it's still legal to do so

Yup the others are correct...it has to be disposed of in a specific way....all parts of the plant- not just the roots.

I think if it's on your property then the value of your house will drop because of building insurance
        Last edited by Nicos; 10-10-2010, 05:24 PM.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

its growing in some land behind our house that belongs to the local pub its about 12foot from our wall The pubs been informed so they've spent the summer cutting it down and burning the lot.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
            its growing in some land behind our house that belongs to the local pub its about 12foot from our wall The pubs been informed so they've spent the summer cutting it down and burning the lot.
            12' is within its root spread, multiple applications of glyphosate helps keep it at bay

Comment

Woow didn't know you could still buy this plant. Mega problems in eradicating it, somewhere I read about injecting each stem with a horrid chemical, need to do this several times before it curls up its toes and dies. Cutting it off every time it pops up, stopping it photosynthesis may weaken it over a long period.
              I agree that it has to disposed over in a special way that sound expensive.
              Maybe a trip to Citizen advice would help to know how to get the neighbour to get rid of it. It is able to grow from the tiniest of pieces, and can come up through asphalt and concrete.
              Stephen I wish you all the best in your fight against this horrid weed, keep us posted with your progress please.
              Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
              -- Alfred E. Neumann
              http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

Originally posted by denise View Post
                Woow didn't know you could still buy this plant..
                I'm in France!
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

My deepest sympathy,JK is a very very nasty stuff and an absolute nighmare(time and money consuming) to get rid of.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                    Neither cutting nor burning will do a blessed thing to kill Japanese knotweed. For heaven sake do not try to dig it out. That will break the underground rhizoms up into little pieces, each of which will start a new plant. The only way to get rid of this invader is reapeated herbicide treatments each year for 2-3 years until it stops coming back.
                    As a licensed pesticide applicator, I use glyphosate. If there are large hollow stems, I use an injection tool. Where there are small solid stems, I do a foliar spray.
                    Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by StephenH View Post
                      It's in next door's garden, peeping over the top of the dividing fence. I think my idiot neighbour has deliberately planted it there, as a decorative climber...
                      but japanese knotweed isn't a climber - is it a climber you can see? And since you can't buy it where would he have got it from to plant? Not that it's not a right pain if that's what you've got, but maybe it's not

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X