Best way to remove nettles?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to remove nettles?

Whats the best way to remove nettles? I have a 1x1m patch near the veg patch which is separated by the concrete footpath of the garden, and then all along the back edge of the veg patch is a row of them. None are actually growing from the veg patch soil though and the row at the back is rooted between our small fence and the bigger fence behind our's, a gap of 30cm so not really diggable. Any thoughts?
    www.gyoblog.co.uk

I just scythe them all down and put the green stuff on the compost heap and then get a fork to the roots. Don't use weed killers on principle and would have thought that if the gap is about a foot then you should be able to get a border fork in.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Nettles are useful as Alison says, so I try to keep some going, just don't let them seed themselves (cut them down before they seed). Sunny ones will host butterflies too.
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 03-10-2010, 02:28 PM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Ok thanks
        www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

They are also a good host for catterpillar, which in turn are a lifesaver for birds in the breeding season, many a brood has survived because of nettles, so a small patch of nettles helps save our Avian friends.

paul.
          Help Wildlife.
          Take only photos-leave only footprints-Kill only time.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X