Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown beasties

Hi all,

We installed a water butt recently and I looked in today to check that it was ok after recent rainfall and it is full of these strange little creatures. They are kind of grey and look like tiny eels about a cm long, with one end (that they seem to like to keep to the surface) looking to be forked and the other end slightly bulbous.

I haven't used any of the water incase they are insect larvae that i don't want to infect the plants with, but that renders the collected water useless - so what are they and how do I keep them out?

If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated.

They are mosquito larvae. They won't harm your plants. You could put a goldfish in there to control their numbers.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

You need to keep a tight lid on the water butt to keep beasties out, before they lay eggs for other beasties.

I had this problem last year. Personally, I would drain it, disinfect and start again, as they probably will turn into mossies and repeat the cycle.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, the goldfish thing isn't a joke - it was one of the bits of advice I was given last year, along with putting oil on the water - stops insects laying eggs, apparently.
      Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

Mosquito or gnat larvae. They won't harm your plants. Try putting a couple of goldfish in the butt, they eat the eggs and larvae.

Comment

My chooks love picking them out of the water- we have a few shallow paddling pools for the geese and change the water every few days- I know when the water needs changing cos the chooks get stuck into the feast!

Oh- and yes...hello- and welcome to the Vine!
          Last edited by Nicos; 29-07-2010, 02:06 PM.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X