Maggots in Turnips

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maggots in Turnips

I can't find the thread that someone posted recently similar to this, but I've just pulled some turnips- and found maggots in them. Pretty gross things - pulled the rest up and everyone had them too. This is in a SFG bed.. other brassicas in there (PSB) but they seem fine so far.

Couple of queries!

What are they?
    Can I cut the part out and eat the rest (haven't done so - atm I'm drowing them under water - and will compost)
    Can I prevent them? - This bed has been un-netted for about 2/3 months.
    Would like to sow some more, but don't really want to in that bed again, so wondering if there's a fix?

Thank you.

Cabbage root fly maggots. They go for radishes as well (which is why I can't grow radishes)
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 12-07-2010, 08:01 PM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Turnips are members of the Brassica family so it sounds like cabbage root fly. You can't protect turnips with mats as you do cabbages, netting is the only way I know of. I would certainly still eat them-minus the maggots, although having lived in Africa for a number of years I'm not to fussy.
      History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

Thanks both

Comment

This worked!

Soak a peice of thick soft string in something smelly, I used old style ***** fluid. Stretch it between two sticks just above the turnips when you sow them. The smell confused the Flea beetle and they don't lay their eggs in the young plants. You can use anything smelly that lasts, creosote was another suggestion. It has to be the old style not the new low odour ones.

Best of luck
          Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X