Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corn On The Cob Pests?

Hi Everyone,

I need some help as I am new to growing my own and still learning.

I have grown some corn on the cobs from seed and I am very proud of them so I am now worried I might end up losing the crop before I get to eat the corn.

I have noticed recently they are covered in ants and on some of the leaves there seems to be small groups of them looking like they are protecting something like eggs.

Are ants a pest? should i be worried about them causing any damage? my corn now has corn and silks so its at a crucial stage.

if i do need to start trying to get rid of the ants then does anyone know of a home remedy like the chilli water trick (that got rid of the caterpillars on my brussels) or the soapy water trick (killed the green fly attack over night)

i am trying to do this without insecticides if possible.

thanks for your help

Hello Jenksi and welcome. I'm not a lot of help as this is my first time growing corn on the cob too but I would hazard a guess that the ants are protecting the sticky residue made by another pest. Ants themselves don't usually damage the plants although they do mine the soil around the roots which can harm the plants. I usually am happy to use sprays as I'm too lazy to be organic. However I have a plum tree in my chook run which is covered in aphids and as I didn't want to spray with anything harmful to chooks I've used soapy water and this has been very successful. As you've tried this before I'd be inclined to try it on the corn. Hopefully someone who's come across this before will be along soon.

Comment

The ants are farming blackfly.

Squish the blackfly with your fingers
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X