Powdery mildew....Courgette probs...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powdery mildew....Courgette probs...

Hi, I have 1 single courgette planted in a pot. All was growing well and harvested 1st proud courgette a week or so ago. I noticed that the next couple of courgettes that had formed were not growing at the same rate and were going bright yellow and ribbed. A few days ago I cut these off and binned them. Then the leaves developed what seems to be powdery mildew which is all over all the leaves (this silvery grey powder does not rub off the leaf). Yesterday I harvested 2 smallish courgettes that look fine but noticed that the base of the plant itself looks like it's turning into a courgette!, part looks split too. Any suggestions on what to do? Will the plant die, should I cut it all right back or leave nature to take it's course? This is my first attempt at veg gardening. Ta!

Hello Craftyangel and welcome to the vine.

I should not worry too much and leave it for a bit longer before you give up. The yellow shrivelled ones are probably a couple that haven't been fertilised which is perfectly normal at this time of year.
    The leaves on mine often get a bit ropey but I just cut them off when they get too bad. Courgettes are quite hardy and, as long as you leave some leaves on, they should be fine, in fact - I'm willing to bet that, once they start fruiting, you won't be able to keep up with harvesting
    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Thank you! This is my First time growing veg and using a forum...both very exciting! The plant itself looks really healthy actually and has new leaves and courgettes appearing so will cut off the dodgy looking ones as and when. I have a flourishing cucumber plant next to it which has loads of cucumbers on it, leaves all look perfectly healthy...should I move it just in case? It's in a pot so easy to do? Thanks!

Comment

I don't honestly know the answer but I'm sure a more knowledgeable grape will be along to help to that one. I shouldn't think it would hurt to move the cucumber (assuming that's what you mean) but I reckon it could stay where it is too
        Are you sure it is powdery mildew - sometimes courgette leaves look a little bit "silvered". Do the leaves look like this one in the picture if so, this is a very healthy looking plant and this is just what they look like.
        Attached Files
        A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Ahhh, yes, that's what it looks like... I would say that the leaves on mine are a lot more silvery than that, but I think that's it! Phew... the stalk of the plant still looks a bit strange but again...probably just normal. Great, off to cook my courgettes and baby new potatoes I've just dug up! Thanks again...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X