Ants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ants

Hi there, I have an ants nest in my compost bin. Should I get rid of it and if so, how?
    I already tried the boiling water trick but after 20 kettles full they just came back the following day
    Please help!!!!!!!!

Aggie I recently discovered a big ants nest in my dalek. I was in the process of turning it into another bin when I came across it. I took a couple of spadesful out for the robins, gave the nest a good old stirring with the fork and put the lot back into the new bin. I have since researched it on the net and the consensus of opinion is that the bin contents should be regularly stirred as ants don't like their lives disrupted, the bin is possibly too dry, and that the ant runs can be GOOD for the compost as they act as aeration channels for the compost. Also found out that boiling water will also destroy beneficial insects/worms in the compost so not a good idea.
    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Sanjo; 17-06-2010, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Hi over the past 2 years I have been using Nemasys organic products they have a product called Nemasys No Ants its great. Give it a try

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X