Blasted Cats

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alice View Post
    I stand by what I said before. Any deterent is only part of the solution. Cat owners just have to be educated about their pets toilet requirements and the unacceptability of just allowing them to use their neighbours property. Might make us a bit unpopulat at times - but you would no longer let their dog do it - would you ?

Mandy, no you shouldn't compsost it. You can compost cow, pony and chicken poo because these animals only eat vegetable material, so don't transmit the diseases carried in meat. Cats and dogs eat meat, some of it infected with all sorts (unfit for human consumption) and this is passed on in the faeces. So don't put it in your compost heap or you will end up eating it.
    i agree, you don't want to get toxoplasmosis or any other nasties

the only thing i can think of apart from pepper is a physical barrier like fencing or netting, hope you find a way that works soon!

x
    stay safe, be happy, have fun

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
      Cat owners can go a long way to solving the problem by providing a toilet area within their own property for their cats. Any area suitable for the cats to dig in, made from sand and cinders, or outdoor litter can be bought now. This area can be dug out regularly, binned and replaced.

I think I'll do this this year and see what happens. I've had to dig lots of sand into my soil last year and my cat thought it was great fun having loads of places to go! There was one area I left a bit of a pile of compost in that he seemed to favour eventually and as its under a tree and out the way I'll try and encourage it. As he's a bit of an old fart I don't think he roams far but I can't be sure he isn't visiting neighbours gardens as well, hopefully he'll stay near home. I never used to give it any thought but now that I'm getting seriously into my gardening I don't want him ruining someone else's garden.

I've got quite a bit of turning over to do so might try the coffee grounds trick to see if that keeps him off it! He's quite a belligerent moggy when other cats are near so I at least only have to worry about him no other moggy dares set foot on his patch.

Comment

I can honestly say that my dog is the only thing that worked 100% for keeping cats away, (i know you dont want that advice), it was essential for me to get him to do the work, since we have had a real cat problem here, the neighbourhood is full of them, we tried everything realy, now that i have the dog even the front garden is spotless, and he does not even patrol that area! He chases them right out of here, i havent seen many cats since i got the dog, they dont dare, dogs are fun and your best friend...
        Best Wishes
        Happy Growing
        blue-and-green

http://blue-and-green.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by blue-and-green View Post
          I can honestly say that my dog is the only thing that worked 100% for keeping cats away, dogs are fun and your best friend...
          I agree, but landlords don't. Should I train the budgie to bark? !
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have the same problem - one of my lovely neighbours has SIX cats - yes six. and then about 6 neighbours have one each. My neighbour would not speak to hubby for weeks as she caught him throwing water off her cat ( who was in a middle of poo in our garden) I watched him and the the cat moved to quickly and I think he missed the cat. The neighbour told me her poor cat was shocking wet - yeah right and then she told me her cat only poos in her garden, how does she know. I have now put loads of weed cover sheets down and that does help BUT now they poo on the lawn, so now putting coffee Granuals down to see if that helps. I do try to remove the poss ASAP.

Its just annoying, I hoping when i get chickens they might stay away

Loz
            http://warmanallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by lozza_9 View Post
              I have the same problem - one of my lovely neighbours has SIX cats - I hoping when i get chickens they might stay away

Loz
              Yeah right! A free chicken show? all the cats will be inviting THEIR friends and neighbours to watch!
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

lozza 9: my cat does poo in my garden but your right, they are free roaming creatures so he could be pooing anywhere. I'd object to anyone hurting my cat but if he's in their garden and they don't want him there then their perfectly entitled to shoo him or even throw water at him! He'll dry out soon enough and it might learn him - doubt it though as he's a bit thick to say the least. I'll be getting his "toilet" ready this weekend, hopefully he'll use it.

Comment

maybe I should get a toilet area in my garden, atleast they will do it one place.

what do I need for a toilet area for the cats?
                  Loz

P.s I do llike cats - i used to look after my neighbours cat ( before I moved) he actually came to me more than he went to the neighbours when he was called and he never done any poo in our garden. I think he knew my mother would cut him into several pieces if he did.
                  http://warmanallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

for a cat-loo you'll need a flat bottomed square/rectangular plastic container, easy-wipe-clean, easy to get in and out of, loose soil or sand maybe, but we used to buy the catsan from supermarkets, empty it in plastic bag and clean it often, and bin it after, (you wouldnt want to compost it, see above discussions)
                    Best Wishes
                    Happy Growing
                    blue-and-green

Comment

a friend once suggested to me to keep a corner at the end of my garden with long grass and that the cats will go there only then, but i dont think it is our responsibility to provide for others' cats, and i see now how much they like freshly dug soil. I read on Top Tips there was suggested to poke kebab sticks in the soil at a sharp angle, careful you dont have an accident slipping and tripping and falling into them though.
                      Best Wishes
                      Happy Growing
                      blue-and-green

Comment

Originally posted by jools View Post
                        I think the main reason why you can't compost dog/cat mess is that the majority of them will have been wormed and therefore their deposits will kill the worms in your compost bin.

It is true that cat's poo can cause blindness - which is a bit of a problem if you are trying to encourage your kids to grow stuff in the garden and someone elses bloomin cat has left a calling card.
                        Jools, a worming dose kills intestinal worms, it does not make your pet poo toxic for months or years.
                        The main risk is of pets that have NOT been wormed, dogs can transmit a nasty worm which will make you blind, cats and dogs can transmit all sorts of parasites via their poo.

At least with a dog it is legally "livestock" and has to be controlled by the owner, you have legal recourse if someone keeps letting their dog crap on your property. This also means that any car accident where a dog is runover has to be reported.

Cats are not regarded legally as being owned or controlled animals in the sense that dogs are. Frankly they can be a bloody nuiscance, as other posters have noted the "low maintenance" aspect seems to appeal to modern folk, hence they prowl their neighbourhood trying to kill anything smaller than them and crapping anywhere but their owners property.

My dog seems to keep the garden cat free and trys to do the same with the allotment. Silly thing is if the cat is hard or stupid enough to stand its ground she then pretends she has not seen it.

Problem is most things that really work are not humane or kind.

The most amusing cat deterrent I've ever seen was what our neighbours elderly and friendly longhaired idiot cat encountered when our extension was being built.
                        Too arthritic and lazy to shin the fence if an alternative presented itself, he decided to stroll across our new foundations..... while the concrete was still wet.
                        Being grabbed at home as he tried to rub concrete off on the carpet and getting bathed had a lasting effect, he stayed clear after that until the builders went.
                        Last edited by Peter; 16-02-2007, 11:45 PM.
                        Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
                        Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
                        I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

I've just read on an allotment blog about a lady using chicken pellets to keep cats away from her plot. Has anyone ever tried this? Might be worth a go but not sure what type of chicken pellets she means. Chook owners might be wise to this already and could let us know if it works....
                          All at once I hear your voice
                          And time just slips away
                          Bonnie Raitt

Comment

An electric wire (as for cattle but a lower voltage ) about 3 to 4 inches off the ground round the outside of your garden might work.
                            (don't forget the warning signs(in cattish )
                            The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                            Brian Clough

Comment

I wonder if the 'PIR thingy' which uses high frequency to deter moggies is what my daughter can hear along our street. My cloth ears don't go above 16mHz.
                              http://www.greenlung.blogspot.com
                              http://www.myspace.com/rolandfrompoland

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X