Possible Potato Virus

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Potato Virus

Anyone out there grow potatoes regularly and can identify what has gone wrong with my crop ?

I have inserted 2 images of the problem. basically the leaves have not opened out. They are still rolled up and havent opened out. They have been like this for over one month and I dont think that they are going to open. Some of the potatoes leaves on other plants have opened out ok.

Any ideas ???

Gardening blog http://ploughyofurrow.blogspot.co.uk

That looks like the effects of contaminated manure - aminopyralid I think it is called. What have you planted them in?
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

That is worrying. I did plant them into manured land. I had planted these in work not at home but used manure from the farm. Will have to check what the farmers have used if anything on the grazing area.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
        That looks like the effects of contaminated manure - aminopyralid I think it is called. What have you planted them in?
        Jeanied, many thanks. That looks like the problem. Googled aminopyralid and found a link on the following site (posting just in case it benefits anyone else with a similar problem) Contaminated Manure Aminopyralid Update

Comment

Jaysk34 here is a picture from an allotment website of potatoes affected by contaminated manure.
          Attached Files
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Certainly appears to be the problem. Not good I'm afraid!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I'm a bit confused (nowt new there then) looking at these pictures they appear to be very similar to a problem that has shown on the allotment with potatoes - BUT - I have 6 raised beds with six different varieties of potato in them, all with the same manure in, and yet only the Anya bed has been affected, the rest are looking green and healthy. Others on the allotment have had all their potatoes hit, but they do use a common source for their manure, whilst I went to an independent source.

The Anya never really took off from the start, so am thinking the other potatoes are going to be okay, as they have grown strongly - is there some other virus or disease that may have been in the Anya tubers (mind I did buy certified stock) that would manifest itself in a similar way to the manure problem?
              'May your cattle never wander and your crops never fail'

Comment

MOGS
                I had poor results from ANYA last year everything else all around them grew brilliant but not the anya, one root I dug looked like a handful of baby mice and they were dug as a second early
                Last edited by PAULW; 09-06-2010, 04:35 PM.

Comment

My Anya are way behind every other variety ... all planted at the same time
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The Anyas definitely have curly leaves and appear to have fern like growth (although only very small amounts) that the manure problems seem to bring, which makes it so puzzling. One guy on the allotments is calling DEFRA. I'm just seeing what happens, if they fail I've always got another 5 beds, which look like they're doing okay. If I find out anymore I'll let you all know.
                    'May your cattle never wander and your crops never fail'

Comment

Is it possible that the seed potatoes were affected before you bought them? We had a similar problem on our site last year but the plot holder hadn't kept the reference code on his packaging - who does - and so we couldn't follow this up.

WE found that volunteer potatoes growing from affected potatoes di have the symptoms of contamiantion and I also know of one victim who collected beans from contamianted plants and sowed them. The all grew showing the symptoms too. Plant materials from affected plants shouldn't be composted as this perpetuates the problem
                      Try visiting my websites and blogs

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X