Ivy roots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ivy roots

I have just cleared a patch of ground for hopefully planting veg at some point this year ... the only problem is the ground had ivy growing in it and although the soil is lovely it is full of little roots from the ivy. I have tried raking which had some impact but still loads remain. The real question is do I have to weedkill the whole patch and wait till next year to use it or because I have the main large roots out will the other just die, the roots that are left are very fine.

thanks for reading

Gigleypants
    THE MORE MUSHY YOU ARE THE MORE THEY LOVE YOU

The fine roots won't re-grow, Gigleypants - or at least in my experience they don't. If I took out all the fine roots in parts of my garden there would be rather a large hole!
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Perfect - thank you Jeanied thats just what I was hoping for ... you have made a very soggy Monday a lot brighter xxx

Gigleypants
      THE MORE MUSHY YOU ARE THE MORE THEY LOVE YOU

Comment

Yup, I've never had ivy re-grow from the tiny root fibres, but it will re-grow from a piece of twig.
        However, your digging in future years will get rid of any bits that manage to survive.
        Potatoes are a great plant to use to smother weeds on "reclaimed" ground and the digging-up of the potatoes in the autumn will unearth any persistent weeds that survived.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X