Tiny white maggots/grubs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny white maggots/grubs

I had a problem last year with some of my onions and garlic - I'm not sure if it's to do with pests in the soil or whether it was to do with having to transplant at the end of January when the ground was frosty but several of the bulbs were rotten and covered with tiny (c. 1mm) white maggots. Firstly, any ideas what they are? Secondly, can anyone tell me if this is probably to do with the plants rotting first in the poor conditions and then succumbing to magoots, or whether the maggots attacked the live bulbs and made them rotten?

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Originally posted by Birdie Wife View Post
    I had a problem last year with some of my onions and garlic - I'm not sure if it's to do with pests in the soil or whether it was to do with having to transplant at the end of January when the ground was frosty but several of the bulbs were rotten and covered with tiny (c. 1mm) white maggots. Firstly, any ideas what they are? Secondly, can anyone tell me if this is probably to do with the plants rotting first in the poor conditions and then succumbing to magoots, or whether the maggots attacked the live bulbs and made them rotten?
    Sounds like onion fly to me! Try this link and have a look at the piccies!

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...%3Den%26sa%3DG
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks for the link snadger. This is my first year growing onions and have never seen onion fly. Now i know what to look for.

Comment

Ick! Thanks Snadger, that looks like the beast. Although I don't think I've seen the grown larvae yet but I'll keep an eye out this year. Is there anything I can do about them or is it just a case of keeping the crop rotation going?

Comment

Originally posted by Birdie Wife View Post
          Ick! Thanks Snadger, that looks like the beast. Although I don't think I've seen the grown larvae yet but I'll keep an eye out this year. Is there anything I can do about them or is it just a case of keeping the crop rotation going?
          I think they are attracted by the smell, thats why it is recommended to grow carrots with onions as each smell disguises the other and hopefully confuses the respective flies!
          Make sure you burn any infected plants to stop the next generation hatching!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

When you say transplanting I have to ask from where. If you were transplanting seedlings from compost in cells or pots the little maggots could be the larva of compost gnats or scariad flies. The flies are tiny and hover over the surface of pots, but the larvae eat the roots of the seedlings.

Comment

Transplanted from one raised bed to another, 30 miles away, when I moved house! Didn't know scariad fly larvae eat roots (thanks for the tip, will have to watch out for them), but these maggots were on the bulbs, not the roots.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X