Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Bugs in Chilli soil...???

Hi
    I was inspecting my chillis yesterday and found in the soil miniscule white bugs, I have googled them but cant find out what they are. They are so small I cant get camera lens to focus on them. They look a bit like tiny headlice but white...they dont fly but possibly jump when disturbed (may have been me moving them too quickly)
    Anyway I took the whole plant pot to the bin, tipped the pot and earth out, very gently loosened the soil around the roots and washed them. Then repotted with new compost and pot and have it in isolation from the others.. Did I do the right thing?

Any expert any ideas? I would not have thought any bug would like chillis?!?

Are these them, I have them in what was my runner bean compost, I'd like to know what they are, if there friendly or not?
    As you say there only around 2mm long, I thought they were grub's at first, but if you look at them they have little legs...YUK.

Comment

could be spider mite

Comment

Have you looked at whether they are Vine Weevils?

Comment

Originally posted by ginger ninger View Post
          Are these them, I have them in what was my runner bean compost, I'd like to know what they are, if there friendly or not?
          As you say there only around 2mm long, I thought they were grub's at first, but if you look at them they have little legs...YUK.

Yes that looks like them in the second pic, Ginger - with longer talons around the head, and around the right size too, though some of them are (or were) around 1mm.

Hope they are not either spider mite or vine weavil!

Comment

Don't think they're spider mite and if they are vine weevil there's awful lot of them.
            Does anyone else have any ideas?

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

looks like a springtail (Protaphorura procampatus)

Checklist of the Collembola: Onychiurinae

found another link
              http://www.chezshaw.demon.co.uk/work...ollembola.html
              Last edited by kernowyon; 07-02-2010, 08:52 PM. Reason: more
              Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
              Bob Dylan

Comment

There not vine weevils because I have those in some of my other containers (see dish photo below) and there not spider mite. There spring tail, after having a good look on the tinternat I found them.

Spring tail
                Spring tails are tiny insects that are often present in large numbers in pots, but may not be noticed until the plants are watered, when they jump all over the surface using their forked tails. They can damage the leaves, stems and roots of seedlings.

Comment

There not vine weevils because I have those in some of my other containers (see dish photo below) and there not spider mite. There spring tail, after having a good look on the tinternat I found them.

Spring tail
                  Spring tails are tiny insects that are often present in large numbers in pots, but may not be noticed until the plants are watered, when they jump all over the surface using their forked tails. They can damage the leaves, stems and roots of seedlings.
                  Thanks Ginger you're a star !! It was when I water them that I noticed them , and I am really glad that I got rid of them now!

Comment

Just curious, what damage do the spring tails do to the plants?

And when your back stops aching,
                    And your hands begin to harden.
                    You will find yourself a partner,
                    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                      They can damage the leaves, stems and roots of seedlings.
                      Sounds not very nice at all....

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                        Hope this helps clear a few things up Bramble!!
                        DAMAGE

Most springtails are harmless scavengers, feeding mainly on decaying organic matter. Some species may damage plants by chewing on the roots and leaves of seedlings. The seedlings may appear wilted and may die if damaged when young. Damage occurs as minute, rounded pits on young leaves or roots, or as irregular holes in thin leaves. Mature plants are not significantly injured. Springtails rarely cause enough damage to plants to warrant control measures.
                        Springtails can become a nuisance around swimming pools when they fall in and drown in large numbers, often coating the pool surface. Although unsightly in the pool, they can be safely removed without cause for concern. Springtails will not bite or otherwise harm people or pets.
                        Their large populations can also make them a nuisance in homes, greenhouses, and other locations where there is a source of moisture. Their continued presence indoors is an indicator of moisture.

Comment

Spring tails are tiny insects that are often present in large numbers in pots, but may not be noticed until the plants are watered, when they jump all over the surface
                          another good reason to water from below, not onto the soil surface
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

How do you do that, capillary matting?

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                              How do you do that, capillary matting?
                              Put plant pot in saucer. Pour water into the saucer
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X