bird boxes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bird boxes

What do people think of putting these up near their crops? I was about to hang a fat ball from one of the fruit trees as I thought it would come and encourage birds to pick off any insects, and then suddenly realsed they may decide to nip the growing buds off instead!
    If this is the case, should I be thinking of putting up my planned nesting boxes incase it has the same effect? I suppose if I put them up away from the fruit trees and bushes they may be OK. would I be better concentrating on the birds who wouldn't do this- if so which ones???
    Any bird enthusiasts out there?
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

I'd put them up Nicos,
    You can always cover your fruit up with nets. Some of the guys at the lotty site have bird tables on their plots and don't have any problems.

It depends what sort of birds you get I guess, but there is usually enough for them and us as I plant far too much anyway.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

I'd put them up too - you are gonna get feathered visitors anyway, so putting up boxes or feeders will make no odds.
      I have loads of feeders in my garden, and regularly have four or five pairs nesting - blackies, starling, robin, blue tits (in my one box) and last year a pair of thrushes.
      Rat
      Rat

British by birth
      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

We get flocks of starlings nesting in the dry stone walls around the house, so many that their nests undermined a part of it last year and it fell down. I try and keep them as far from the veg plot as possible as they seem to just bite of young flowers and stems just for the fun of it, particularly nastutiums I actually love birds, but find the starlings are just too much - and they seem to frighten off the lovely blackbirds and sparrows which seem to do no harm at all.

They also like to nest in the bonnet of the car! Last year I had to check the bonnet every morning before driving to work and pull out loads of material.

My Dad used to refer to starlings as the leather jacket boys out for a fight and I think he was right!

If anyone has any ideas for keeping starlings occupied elsewhere I would be glad to hear ..............
        ~
        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Hi Jennie
          We don't seem to see the huge flocks of Starlings (stukkies) we used to when I was a kid in Glasgow. I remember the council drafted in vans with loudspeakers playing starling distress calls and birds of prey to try and move on the huge flocks that descended on the city centre each evening to roost - but eventually they gave up and netted the most popular buildings to prevent the birds from landing. Since moving up here, I've seen a few flocks numbering perhaps several hundred, but never anything like the thousands of my childhood.
          Deterrents - birds of Prey - esp sparrowhawks, predators - stoats, weasels etc - possibly weekly visits from a ferret if you know someone who has one ?
          Other than that, sorry, starlings are pretty fearless.
          Rat
          Rat

British by birth
          Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
          http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks SR for that comforting news!! Do you think ferret dung would be enough to scare them off? I could advertise on the work intranet - that would be a new one for them.

Hmm wonder if I could make a bird of prey - tried a scarecrow last year and they just sat on it! Also tried feathers in large potatoes -that didn't work either. However, just got a new dog, so perhaps I could train her to bark at them - worth a try! Getting desperate ..........
            ~
            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

How about a plastic Owl on a post, I've seen this done on buildings (our office for one)
              ntg
              Never be afraid to try something new.
              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
              ==================================================

Comment

NTG. What a good idea. I think I have seen a plastic one that is battery operated that turns its head and hoots. Can’t remember where I saw it though. Perhaps a goggle on the subject of scaring starlings would produce fruit?
                Jax

Comment

I think the plastic owl is meant to scare pigeons away. The plastic heron that we have is no use the real heron sits on the fence next to it watching the fish. Mind you it's cheeky - it chased the next door neighbour up his garden one day.
                  [

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X