companion planting

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• companion planting

Hi, i have been trolling through the archives looking at compaion planting and among about 1000 other things I learnt that you can use a salt spray to deter cabbage whites. My problem is i couldnt find the amounts to use, also it was suggested that a sft soap be added to make it stick better but i have absolutely no idea of quantities.Can anybody help? There was also mention of a spray made from coriander which I'm interested in. Infact if anyone has any idea of any home made deterrants to my pest problems (bugs not kids!) please let me know cos i think it's gonna be war this year
    Thanks
    Raine

I tried a similar spray earlier this year, but sadly it didn't work! It certainly made my eyes water though! I made a large bucket full of warm water, salt, garlic and chilli flakes! I just but as much as I thought - no actual quantities! Do give it a go - and let me know how you get on. Watch out for the fumes though - as they say "its makes your eyes a bit nippy"! DDL
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Blimey that was a quick reply! Shame it didn't seem to work but I think I'll give it a go. You never know one day I might grow a cabbage that is completely whole ( on the othe hand I'd be happy just to grow one at all!)
      Thanks
      Raine

Comment

This is my first year growing cabbage (and most other things really!) Ive gone for the 'pick the catterpillars off by hand' method! Still picking off big fat ones today. Did see a prog. which reccommended putting rhubarb leaves in a large bucket with water and covering and leaving for a couple of weeks and then using the liquid to spray the brassicas. It really pongs but it was successful for the person concerned. This year i will be constructing a frame of some kind to reduce the need for picking off the pests.!
        Good luck and let us all know how you get on.

Comment

I have used a mix of chilli, onion and tobacco in water which worked well for greenfly and greenhouse pests. Whizz it up in a blender, seive out any lumps and mix in a little fairy washing up liquid (supposed to be very good for getting the greenfly too and helps the mix stick to the leaves) and put in an old sprayer. But watch out, like DDL says its stingy on the eyes and it really stinks.

Comment

Try the soft soap alone. Scientific Daughter tells me that the soap interfers with the breathing mechanisim (specules I think) of aphids etc. and they sufforcate.

I can't get soft soap so use washing up liquid and last year I managed to clear my Bay Tree of scale insects, It also did for the aphids on the brassicas and didn't do the caterpillars a lot of good either
            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by raine View Post
              Blimey that was a quick reply! Shame it didn't seem to work but I think I'll give it a go. You never know one day I might grow a cabbage that is completely whole ( on the othe hand I'd be happy just to grow one at all!)
              Thanks
              Raine
              I agree with you completely! DDL Going to give it a go this year.
              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
                I can't get soft soap
                Why not try growing soapwort (see herb thread) as a companion plant?
                Judging from previous posts here perhaps coriander would make a good plant to grow with brassicas, and maybe nicotiana too? google may give some info.

We planted spring cabbage last Autumn and have picked the first today - no pest problems at all (yet)

Comment

Hi there,
                  try some neem oil spray ( diluted with some soapy water ) or some herbal tea spray made of artemisia vulgaris (it works as insecticide ).

Cheers,
                  Momol
                  I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Originally posted by momol View Post
                    Hi there,
                    try some neem oil spray ( diluted with some soapy water ) or some herbal tea spray made of artemisia vulgaris (it works as insecticide ).

Cheers,
                    Momol
                    Hi momo - welcome to the Vine! where can you get this from? DDL
                    Last edited by dexterdoglancashire; 07-02-2007, 07:20 PM.
                    Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Hallo Dexterdoglancashire,I have read about them in saparate places and have been trying them individually,but it doesn't work that well individually... but when I mix them together, it does work much better . I basicly brew the artemisia tea and then mixt some neem oil and a few drop of liquid dish detergent. You have to repeat the spraying after 2 or 3 days later to killed off the remaining pest ( and if it rains ) .
                      good luck !

Momol

Comment

I like picking the caterpillars off by hand, drowning them in a jamjar of water, and then tipping the carcases onto the bird table
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Btw Neem oil is safe to be use, it has been used by the Indians for generations, it contained azadhirachtin which said to inhibit the grow of the insect ( when they are in early stage of live ) and also functioned as insecticide. as for artemisia, it has been use ( by the german) as insect repellent. But they don't work when I used them for hairy caterpilars ( +/- 4 cm long)

Comment

Too bad, I can't ! I have fobic for caterpilars plus has severe allergic reactions...

Comment

Thanks momol - its definately worth a try! DDL
                              Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X