No announcement yet.

Mice everywhere!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They say if you got mice you havn't got rats, so thats one good thing. Try putting a corn flake in the peanut butter, it worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by pdblake View Post
      Bubble and Squeak?
      Those are the names of our two black cats
      The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
      Brian Clough

Comment

Update.
        Since removing the food source (bird table food) I havent seen a mouse. However the poison still hasnt been touched, although one or two traps have been sprung with no capture. i can only assume they are still about, but foraging much further for food. Problem is, how long before I can feed my birds again?
        A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work!
        There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Comment

We used the tip traps baited with peanut butter and they worked brilliantly and i let the little guys out on my way to work too. I know they are a pest but couldn't kill the little dudes.
          When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
            Those are the names of our two black cats
            Spooky. Eye of newt and toe of frog.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun Hayley View Post
              They say if you got mice you havn't got rats, so thats one good thing.
              Urban myth. At times we have had both, but the local council pest control department have been very good at getting rid of the rats.

valmarg

Comment

I use a bird feeder station in the garden and had mie ,rats and squirrels on it.
                now have a baffle made from the top half of a 2l lemonade bottle about 3 ft off the ground ,cut the top off of the bottle,make a hole in the lid that's a tight fit around the stake and slide the bottle up the stake so that it's above jumping range and looks like an umbrella.
                I have watched mice climb up the stake and get stuck inside the bottle until they fall off.
                I also use selfset mousetraps baited with peanut butter and chocolate spread on rock hard crusts wired onto the traps with bag ties.these are mounted in drainpipe so the dog cant reach them.
                the snakes dispose of the dead bodies.
                don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun Hayley View Post
                  They say if you got mice you haven't got rats, so that's one good thing. Try putting a corn flake in the peanut butter, it worked for me.
                  looks like Ive got rats then!
                  I set 5 traps last year when we got chickens. They were put in the sheds where food and bedding were stored for the hens, we caught 15 to 20 last winter. the traps are still set every week, but nothing for months now.
                  We always bait with raisins they last a week or two and mice love em.

The boss saw a rat at the side of the chicken shed the other day, the air rifle is getting polished up and a flask of tea made for a stake-out very soon!

may try one of your recipes bubblewrap!
                  Last edited by harrybrew69; 21-11-2009, 12:02 AM.
                  The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
                  VISIT MY WEBSITE TO HELP KEEP YOUR HANDS CLEAN AFTER A DAY ON THE PLOT
                  http://www.thesoappatisserie.co.uk

Comment

I have also heard that cooked bacon works on traps they have to pull it quite a bit so most traps spring.I dont like the idea of letting them go further away as that just gives someone else the problem.We had a problem with rats but council put down boxes with poison and seems to have controlled it but still a few hanging about

Comment

I say use peanuts and chocalate and if not that then get som hazelnuts. If there ingnoring the nuts then just put some kind of repellent on the base of your bird table or adopt a ferret
                      Dont judge a plant by it's pot.

Comment

Peanut butter works here - although that is for rats, which we had in the loft! The blighters would make a racket at night, partying and tap dancing
                        aka
                        Suzie

Comment

We've hopefully just got on top of our recent mouse problem! We live in the sticks so mice are a part of life, but after seeing the mess they had made of a previous house (chewed wires, walls etc...) we had been keeping poison down in the cupboard under the kitchen sink (they come in in the tiny gaps next to the pipes!) to keep on top of it. Unfortunately, the mice decided to have a roam round the kitchen and a chomp on the drain hose of the dishwasher (only discovered when the water spraying out of the teeth holes became audible as hose is under units!)! Trip to DIY shop, 2 snap traps (and a new hose!) purchased. 6 days later - 8 mice dispatched! No more chewing! Vanilla essence is the preferred "bait", apparently it's like a drug to a mouse - they can't resist the smell. One drop on the trap plate, "snap"!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X