No announcement yet.

Killing harlequin ladybirds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, Jeanied, there are bound to be loads of views about this. Interesting that Aida's article in the Guardian had followed so swiftly another from the previous Guardian report on the 30th June saying how invasive the species was. I also noted that the UK Ladybird Survey is calling them 'the most invasive ladybird on Earth' and requesting people to send in reports of sightings.
    I honestly don't know what to think but looking at some of the pictures of swarms of them, I wouldn't want them in my loft - but then, I am a bit squeamish
    Wars against nations are fought to change maps; wars against poverty are fought to map change – Muhammad Ali

Comment

FB - it's not that simple
      We have natives with many spots too.

The native eyed ladybird has about 15 spots and some harlequins have 2 or even no spots.

Have a look at this page for a bit more info on identifying them.
      Harlequin Ladybird Survey - Recognition and Distinction

As for how organic growers should view it, I'd suggest that this invasion is entirely the fault of "organic" growers.
      I see that there are two kinds of "organic" grower:
      1> Uses natural methods as if they were chemical. So aphid problems are dealt with by buying a load of ladybirds and unleashing them on the problem. Slugs are killed with some sort of organic slug killer or another.
      2> Encourages native predators by providing habitat. Ponds attract amphibians which will eat all manner of pests. Shelter (and a bit of bait) attracts hedgehogs which can decimate the local slug population.

One is still in a war against nature, just using bits of nature as a weapon instead of pesticides. The other is working with nature, providing habitat and encouraging a rich biodiversity.

It was the use of ladybirds as an "organic pesticide" that brought in a lot of these harelquins. The problem isn't the invasive ladybirds per se, but people fighting against natural systems instead of encouraging and steering them by giving advantageous conditions for predators.

In essence the problem has the same origins as the plague of grey squirrels we see now. People screwing with the natural world without proper consideration for the consequences.

Wow - that got a bit preachy didn't it.

So yea, I think the real organic way is not to encourage (or import) anything foreign as a control where we could, and should be working with nature and encouraging natural predators. I think seeing "organic" as a mere absence of chemical fertiliser, pesticide, herbicide and fungicide is somewhat missing the point.
      Last edited by organic; 25-10-2009, 08:43 PM. Reason: Typo correction.

Comment

Hello

I completed the survey before I posted this thread, now just wanting rid

Comment

SC Johnson - Raid®

I wouldn't want swarms of them in my house either
          Last edited by SarzWix; 25-10-2009, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Theres no evidence they do anything to the old type ladybird ( wont call it native as it probably moved here from somewere else as well ) , they just presume they will eat all the food before the other ones as they chomp faster, i wouldnt agree to introducing them but if there here i say let them stay!

with the weather changes going on, conditions are different, pests will act / breed differently and more types can live in our conditions

Its natures may of stopping us using malathion etc on pests , bring more natural predators in larger numbers and of more vigorous varietys, to fight the more vigorous pests
            Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

Whether they do, or don't, do any damage to 'our' ladybirds, we're talking about an invasion of them in someone's house. I'm sure they'd be a lot less attractive to anyone if they were colonising the loft, and dropping through into the house... Ugh!

Helen, I'd be very tempted to use the Raid for Crawling Insects (I know they can fly, but they do have a 'shell' type covering with the wings) in conjunction with vaccuuming them up, and chucking them out. Failing that, try the council pest control people?
              Hope you get rid of them!

Comment

As I am not in a position to positivly identify them, I would leave them alone for now.

Comment

Sarz mention of Raid suddenly has me wondering if there's an organic way of getting rid of them.
                  Does anyone know of a plant or natural substance that is repulsive to ladybirds?

I've never even considered anything other than getting as many as possible to move into a garden, but there might be something in that.

Another possibility would be to build/buy some ladybird housing of some sort and after vacuming them from the loft, re-house them. That way you'd get rid of the "pest" aspect in the home and still have enough around to eat every aphid for about 15 square miles.
                  Maybe you could relocate them to your allotment if you have one.

Comment

If they're in your house & not out in the open then I'd resort to whatever it takes to be rid of them!
                    Spray things tend to give me a headache...but so I imagine would a swarm of Ladybirds in my loft!
                    Hope you manage to get rid of them quick....whichever method you chose,but I'd not feel guilty about not being "green" if they were invading my indoor space!
                    the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

andi&di
                      I wasn't thinking so much about green credentials as just wondering if there's a non-chemical way of getting shut. Then the wondering moves to effectiveness. Then, I suppose, possibly on to which should be used.

I've never heard of anything natural that repels ladybirds though.

Comment

Originally posted by murphy99 View Post
                        Anyone know how to get rid of them, we have them gathering in our loft and want rid of them?
                        I've been looking through lots of sites, with people asking the same question. The consensus seems to be to vacuum them: also to seal up the cracks where they are entering the building.

Spraying cracks and areas around doors and windows with a long lasting residual spray before asian lady beetles begin to appear in the early fall will prevent them from entering into your home

but you need to be quick, because:
                        They release a pheromone when they find a good spot that then attracts more of them to cluster there as a group.

The practical solution for homeowners in fall and winter is to vacuum and discard them as they appear.
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by organic View Post

I've never heard of anything natural that repels ladybirds though.
                          Mustard Oil?

Aphids have developed the ability to poison ladybirds with a blast of mustard oil.
                          Armed Aphid. -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

I think I'd rather put up with ladybirds than wipe mustard oil all over the roof though
                          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 26-10-2009, 08:14 AM.
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks for that laugh TS.
                            I've now got an image of someone crawling around their loft with a jar of wholegrain mustard spreading it out with a spoon.
                            Urgh!

I wonder if spreading mustard oil under the eaves might work. No need to fill the roof with it and all "green" and what have you.

More immediately I agree that sealing up the edges of the loft hatch with tape should help at least keeping them out of the house.

Comment

Blimey, I don't want any in my garden.

Invasion of Asian ladybirds feast on UK bugs | The Sun |News

Hi. Hi. We've removed your signature. If you have any issues with this, please contact one of the Moderators.

Comment

Newspapers will always blow up a story. I'm lucky I have quite a few native ladybirds nesting in my greenhouse and I bought quite a few 2 spots from greengardener last year so hopefully there's a good supply of them about as well .If I do ever see any harlequins I will kill them as they kill native species but as far as I know they haven't reached this far north yet.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X