Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dealing with whitefly on brassicas - organically?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing with whitefly on brassicas - organically?

Hi folks,

I've just taken over a half plot given up by a guy who doesn't get down to his plot often due to work commitments. A few of his crops extend over to my side and I'll be harvesting the few brussels sprouts on this side of the line.

There's one issue though (apart from the mass of weeds I need to clear) they are absolutely crawling with whitefly. I went over to pinch off some yellow leaves at the weekend and the swarm that flew up was like a cloud of ash. LOADS of the critters.

Now, the secretary of the allotments response was "just spray them" which, since I intend to do this all organically, isn't really an option.

So - is there a reliable solution to this? Obviously I'll be planting my brasiccas as far away from them as possible to start off my rotation and staying away as long as possible, but apart from that is there anything I can do? A natural predator I could attract in? A companion plant that might keep them away?

I really don't know where to start on that front - any advice gratefully recieved.

this came up a couple of days ago: http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...fly_39355.html
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Is it the same beastie, then? It seems to be the case from that thread, at least.
      There were a few yellow and dry brown leaves on the sprouts when I started clearing, they are all green now and I'll keep my eye on them. It seems like the problem is well established right now though.

Is that yellow strip (whatever it is) the best bet then? Or was your comment about waving it over the plants a comment on how useless it is?

I have a feeling I might be too late on the marigold front, or would now still be worth putting some in?

Comment

Get hold of one of those battery operated mini hoovers (gimmicks for computers etc). Take it to the lottie and when you shake the plants hoover the little b*****s up.

Comment

How's that old expression go?

"It's so crazy... it just might work!"

I've actually got a hand held vac that charges up off the mains and then runs on a battery - I might actually try that! Haha.

Ever done it?

Comment

It will at least reduce the numbers, if not clearing them completely.

Comment

Originally posted by organic View Post
              I have a feeling I might be too late on the marigold front, or would now still be worth putting some in?
              The first frost will kill them: they are tender (half-hardy) annuals.

The sticky strips do work (and for flea beetle too). My comment was intended to say: you need to make the beggars fly up, they won't voluntarily wander over to a strip and stick themselves on it.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I think I need to slow down... until recently I didn't even know what a biennial was (well, I knew it was a two year cycle but not how it works) and now I'm trying to get my head around companion plants, hardiness and all the rest... and loving it.

I may have to get some of that sticky stuff when I head to the nursery this weekend or early next week - coupled with a hoover (and why not) it seems like I could get a fair few off the plot.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X