Little b***ers !!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little b***ers !!!!

My tomatoes have been somewhat pathetic which I have optimistically put down to being started late as this is my first year and greenhouse and beds weren't ready until mid-May.

However, my biggest marmande was just changing colour ... when on close inspection I saw that something had been at it And a couple next to it. Now I could see slug/snail slime, but one of the toms looked like it had been drilled. Surely that's not a slug?

I have visions of something digging in and laying eggs, so all icky looking toms get binned

I have (I hope) taken care of the slugs; but if this was something else, presumably I need to do something else to protect my meagre crop?

Thanks for any suggestions

Caro
    Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

A slug propbably made the initial hole Caro and then something else got into it.
    If you've got rid of the slugs that should take care of the problem.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Don't bin them unless they're totally ruined. Pick them, wash out the hole (hopefully this should remove whatever's inside, and leave to ripen. You can cut away the damaged bits when using the tomato. Bit like my windfall apples. I just cut out the bad/bruised bits and the rest is fine to use.

Comment

Our tomatoes (planted outside in our allotment) were pathetic and then we realised they weren't getting enough water and so have stepped this up.

I have saved our 4 pint milk bottles, weighted them down with a few stones inside each, and then pricked one pin prick hole into the side, right near the bottom and one in the lid to let the air in. After watering our tomatoes, we also put one of these bottles to dribble water slowly all night and our tomotoes are now very healthy and have a lot of tomatoes forming. We have Super Marmalade, Alisia Craig, Golden Sunrise (a yellow variety) and Gardener's Delight growing. We are keeping our fingers crossed that we won't get any nasties coming and eating them.

Shamba

Comment

I've had to hand pick some rather large caterpillars of my tomato's over the last week... and they make large hole's in ya tomato's...I'd check for them.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X