grey mould in greenhouse?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grey mould in greenhouse?

I have had a parrafin heater in my greenhouse for a while and it is so full of moisture in there, i have noticed some tufts of soft grey mould on certain plants. can anyone help with a remedy, and will a sulphur bomb kill the spores?

Darren

Ventilation, Ventilation and more ventilation is the only prevention. You can try to cut off or wash off the botrytus but its growing because of the moisture given off by the heater.

For that reason I only use an electic heater.

Comment

Hello DWRUDD, I used to have a parafin heater but it gave off so much moisture, and I had to keep the vents open all the time. I now use an electric fan heater and that works better. I think you would have to cut of all the botritis affected parts and ventilate all the time. I hope you don't loose too many plants.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Oooh dear .......... was just about to send off for my parafiin heater, perhaps I ought to think again.

And what about these sulphur bombs?? When do I need to use one of those? And can someone tell me why I need to use it? (Thanks!)
        ~
        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Hi Jennie,

The sulphur candle fumigates and kills pests and fungal spores on exposed on greenhouse surfaces. See that all doors, ventilating windows etc. are completely closed.
          Place the candle on a brick or in a metal container in the middle of the greenhouse and light the wick. the sulphur around the wick should melt and then burn with very pale blue almost invisible flame. Leave the greenhouse completely closed and sealed. After 12 hours open up the house and ventilate to remove fumes.

Be very careful not to breathe the fumes in!

Comment

Thanks Eidrog and welcome to the Vine!! Its a bit of a mad house at times, but hope you enjoy it.

I have only just really got my greenhouse (had plants in for four months). Do you think I need to use a sulphur bomb yet? Or would it be precautionary?
            ~
            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

You would have to remove all the plants from the greenhouse or they will die.

When the 'growing season' for toms, cukes etc has finished then I use one....generally about October. I think you should be ok but would use it next year....just work around your planning so minimal amount needs to be moved out of greenhouse.

Ecxeptionsa are grapevines and 'hibernating' peach trees, they will survive. I bomb or candle treats about 3m x 2m greenhouse.

Comment

Hadn't thought of moving everything out! As my greenhouse is also a "sitter ooterie" I've got some large pots, so perhaps not such a good idea.
                ~
                ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson View Post
                  Hadn't thought of moving everything out! As my greenhouse is also a "sitter ooterie" I've got some large pots, so perhaps not such a good idea.
                  Jennie - Happy new year! whats a "sitter ooterie"? (I had to ask!) Dexterdog
                  Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Hello DDL, a Sitooterie is a place where you sit oot (sit out in the sunshine)

Jennie, I really wouldn't go for the paraffin heater. The moisture is given off by the gallon, the smell of paraffin is everywhere , you have to leave the vents open all the time and there is no way to control the temperature - up or down.

I use an electric fan heater. Electricity is expensive so I keep everything indoors as long as possible - I do have good windowsills. Then put them in the greenhouse about March and the electricity bill seems to be OK - well as OK as it ever is !!

I don't use the sulphur bombs. I just go for ordinary domestic hygeine - clear out the rubbish and give it a scrub. But we don't have the infestations of whitefly etc. Probably at your climes you don't have them either.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Jenny

It is a bit more expensive but a bottled gas heater will provide variable temperature and not produce so much condensation.

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
                        Jennie - Happy new year! whats a "sitter ooterie"? (I had to ask!) Dexterdog
                        Well its our standalone conservatory really! But it feels as though we are "sitting out" (English) in the garden, even though the wind is blasting past at 50 mph!

Thanks for all your advice about parafin heaters - will investigate a bottled gas one!
                        ~
                        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

You will get the same problems with gas Jennie but on a slightly smaller scale.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I don't have electric to the greenhouse yet, but it is going to be my very next project when I get a little dry weather.

I understand that the electric heater gives no moisture but with so much moisture from a parafin heater, should they really be sold for this prrpose. The walls of my greenhouse are always dripping.

Still thanks for your advice, I will surely act on it
                            Darren

Comment

Can i ask what people have in their greenhouse in the winter. I am reading ass the mail about heaters but i only have winter onions and garlic in pots waiting to be planted out and my lily bulbs which i bring indoors each winter. Neither of these need heating, so was just curious.

And when your back stops aching,
                              And your hands begin to harden.
                              You will find yourself a partner,
                              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X