Vine weevil invasion

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vine weevil invasion

Help! I grow all my plants in containers on my balcony and as a result, have never had very serious problems with pests until now. I must have imported these in some geraniums I bought at a garden centre in the summertime. Suddenly, I started seeing jagged holes in my leaves - something I'd never noticed before in years.... and the geraniums and dahlias were badly eaten. Later, I found a dead vine weevil on the floor.

I knew I had to act, and have been going out at night with a torch to catch and squash the nasty vine weevils, but I seem to find a similar number every night, which means their population isn't quite decreasing yet. I've bought Provado Vine Weevil killer which I will apply this weekend to my ornamental plants, but I also grow veggies on my balcony - and I've already noticed the vine weevils attacking my potatoes, beans, beetroot and strawberries! I can't use the Provado to protect against the grubs for edible plants - what else can I do??

Please help, am upset at the prospect of losing my herbs etc. over the winter.

vegwomble

Use Nemasys vine wevil control. It's biological, as in you are sent a pack of microscopic nematodes which infect the vine weevil larvae. Don't use the provado on your veg or outside as it's pretty toxic stuff. I've just used Nemasys on my garden, you do need to apply 1-2 a year when it warm, and keep the soil moist.

Comment

My next door neighbour told me on Saturday night that he thought he had caught a vine weevil in his house. I didn't know what they were until then but I think I caught one yesterday, also in my house. It looked like the one in the this link anyway.

Oh dear! I only planted Strawberries this year for the first time, I won't be too impressed if these blighters kill them!

Royal Horticultural Society - Gardening Advice: Vine Weevil

Where do they tend to hide so I can see if I can spot them and stamp on them?

Thanks
      http://www.keithsallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X