Shooting wood pigeons

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting wood pigeons

Anyone any good at Law? How do we stand for shooting wood pigeons on a council owned allotment with a .22 rifle. We dont need a licence for the rifle, I know, but what other formalities are there that you need to follow? I have lost one too many crops to pigeons, I am declaring war

Have you asked the council whether it's permitted and checked your tenancy to see if that mentions anything?

Comment

Thought I would ask here first before the council. Plus I dont have a written tenancy, just a receipt for rent!

Comment

I think it will depend on if you have public access on the allotment.

Council's are scared if you hit someone, insurance, health and safety, so it is likely they will say No.

As far as I know it is OK to kill them, as the are a pest.

Comment

I very much doubt whether the council will give you permission to shoot on what is essentially public land. It is only permitted to use an air rifle on private land and you must have the landowners permission.

Comment

here's an older thread on the subject http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ent_11000.html
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Just to corect a serious error -
              You DO NEED A LICENCE (firearms certificate) for a .22 rifle. You do not need one for a .22 air rifle. There is a very considerable difference.

Wood-pigeons are what used to be called an agricultural pest, whatever the present terminology, they are on the schedule of the WCB that allows destruction of birds and nests at any time, with the landowner's consent.

Comment

You could end up with a lot of hassle, all it takes is one "well meaning" member of the public to report you next minute there will be a helicopter overhead and armed police surrounding the lottie you could end up like a brazilian electrician, much simpler to net your brassica's

Comment

Thanks all, yes it is in air rifle, sorry for the confusion, and yes, I see your point. Maybe I just stop being tight and buy loads more netting. Thanks for all your help, really really appreciated.

Comment

My thoughts are that it will also depend on what is beyond the limits of the perimeter of the site
                    There are several laws I sort of recall...you must not discharge a weapon within 100metres of a public highway

you need to have the permission of any landowner who borders onto the allotments...

you need to check up on this!!
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

You could lure them on to your own land!........then shoot em!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                        You could lure them on to your own land!........then shoot em!
                        ah..but..if you miss, the pellets go onto neighbouring land and may injure somethig/someone
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

we have had wood pigeons living/nesting in our garden for years......i would never dream of shooting them!!!

Comment

I just get on with it. What isn't seen doesn't hurt!
                            All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
                            For a cleaner, greener future!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X