Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aphids - do I need to act?

Hi

Right - aphids - greenfly, whitefly, blackfly, whatever!

Since I sowed in feb, every plant seems to suffer. Inside, outside, front, back, My neighbours, me.

Do i need to act? I have that growing success spray, but it says not to use on flowers - everrything has flowers!

I have seen organic websites with garlic sprays, but do they work?

i have just been shaking plants to keep knocking them off

What do you guys do and why am I struggling? What harm do they do?

Since I introduced Nasturtium's into my garden I have been invaded with blackfly, its on everything. My nasturtium's are going in the bin, shame cos the flowers are lovely.
    Cant help with how to get rid though.
    Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
    and ends with backache

Comment

Originally posted by md0u80a2 View Post
      i have just been shaking plants to keep knocking them off
      They's got wings ... they'll just fly back unless you kill em. Ants will carry them in too.

the best thing is squishing with your fingers. Do it under a running hose if you can, to keep your fingers clean.

Also, encourage predatory insects like hoverflies & ladybirds (grow limnanthes and English marigolds for them)

You need to keep the population under control as soon as you see them, because they are born pregnant, and get out of hand within days.

There are 100s of posts on here about aphids, so have a go with your search button.
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 26-06-2009, 07:26 AM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I spray with soapy water (organic soap if you have it, of not cheap washing up liquid). You can add garlic, rhubarb, chilli powder and other things to make it nastier. Garlic and rhubarb will also work as an insect repellent too.

I tend to use rhubarb, nettle or comfrey whether or not I have aphids, both as a feed and a repellent.
        Urban Escape Blog

Comment

Difficult to control without some sort of spray whether organic or not. I am having a difficult time this year in the greenhouse. Although there aren't many aphids the ones that there are seem to be carrying some sort of disease that causes leaf distortion. I have got to the stage of going round each day with the spray. Aphids in numbers are quite capable of killing a plant.

Ian

Comment

aphids - do I need to act?

I have just seen a cabbage white sussing my leaf veg. (cabbages, etc.) Anyroadup, I've invested in a smallish piece of enviromesh. I was promised the one I have will even keep out aphids. As someone said, a bit expensive but it will be worth it. What's more, they say, look after it and fold it away properly and it will last for years.
            There's pleasure sure in being mad that only madmen know - Anon

Comment

We are having a nightmare this year in general with them. My friend left the house the other morning and his car was covered in them

I don't have a solution...I spray with 'naughty sprays' so I'm sure most people will have an organic type alternative. I watered my garden last night and they are over everything from veg to roses...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X