Oh No..what happening to my veggies

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh No..what happening to my veggies

My potato leaves have white speckles on them. So do my tomatoes in the plastic greenhouse. So do some of my runner beans but some also have holes in them and I found a teeny tiny yellow coloured caterpillar on them. I also found blackfly on one of them too.Even my rhubarb leaves have holes chewed in them but I cant see what has had them.
    I have sprayed the blackfly with bug killer and soapy water to boot and sprayed every runner bean leaf I could find with any trace of a caterpillar on, but what are the white speckles in the potato and tomato leaves? Not the dreaded blight is it. I've been reading up about it with dread that my first go at GYO is going to be affected.
    There are no brown spots on the potato leaves just these white speckles.
    My courgettes, patty pan squash (just flowering now) and my sugar peas seem unaffected so far but my broadies have some more blackfly on them at the mo. even some of my sunflowers leaves have gone a bit bumpy but no speckles, just odd lumps and bumps on some leaves.
    Can anyone advise me what it might be and what I need to do (please don't say I have to destroy my whole tattie crop)
    From Row
    Last edited by NewbieGardenerRow; 25-06-2009, 09:55 PM. Reason: typos
    Its nice to be important but its more important to be nice

Originally posted by NewbieGardenerRow View Post
    My potato leaves have white speckles on them. So do my tomatoes in the plastic greenhouse. So do some of my runner beans
    Sounds like sun scorch, caused by watering the leaves in bright sunshine.

Try and water the roots, not the leaves. You should have saucers under the pots, so just water into the saucer.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Blackfly and caterpillars ... pick off and squish by hand.

don't stress too much about all these things ... you are growing food, so don't be surprised when something comes along to eat it

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        Blackfly and caterpillars ... pick off and squish by hand.

don't stress too much about all these things ... you are growing food, so don't be surprised when something comes along to eat it
        Lol I never thought of that.DOH.
        Yep I am probably guilty of watering the pots from the top but I have pushed in some inverted drinks bottles to water them but I will stick some saucers under the tomato plant pots.
        I haven't watered in the sun but we have had a few bursts of rain and then the sun has come out again so I guess thats it. Sun scorch...I never thought of that.
        PHEW! What a relief.
        Caterpillars will be duly squished as will blackfly.
        Thanks Two Sheds. You are my oracle.
        from Row XXX
        Its nice to be important but its more important to be nice

Comment

Originally posted by NewbieGardenerRow View Post
          Even my rhubarb leaves have holes chewed in them but I cant see what has had them.
          that will be snails. You'll find them nestling inside the crown, or have a look after dark when they come out to feast

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X