Red Lily Beetle

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Lily Beetle

Being new to all of this I think I may have just let one of these hide away in my garden. I spotted what I assumed to be an unmarked ladybird of some kind and came inside to look it up, unable to find anything of an unmarked ladybird of a bright crimson colour I widened my search and came across the above beetle, although the colour and size are exact i am still a little unsure because of the shape.

This is a link to the beetle however what was in my garden was far more rounded in appearance, anybody know of a ladybird that might fit the bill or do i now have to be a little more careful and make sure i report it as a beetle sighting?

If it makes any difference it was on my young peas, i also noticed many of the leaves have what i can only described as a white scribble across them, no leaves are damaged and it is not something i can rub off, is this linked to the beetle or something different?

It is an evil lily beetle, not a ladybird.

Crush it. The dratted things are ruining my lilies again this year, although I am vigilant about crushing the beetles, eggs and larvae.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks, if i find it again it will definately get squashed.

Comment

Did you report the sighting

Did you report the sighting using the link you gave? The more that is known about them the more that can be done about them
        I too found a lone beetle and killed it. Having done that I wasn't too sure what it was. Having checked it on the 'net, I went back to the plants and found orange eggs on the underside of 3 leaves. The eggs I squashed. I then checked all of my other lillies in both the front & back gardens. No other beetles or eggs were found. Touchwood....I've not seen any other signs of them.

Comment

I did report it. I looked around but saw no eggs nor could i find the beetle again, i am assuming that because i do not have lillies this particular beetle was just resting on my peas while looking for a garden with lillies in it. Maybe my neighbours garden confused it with the 4 feet tall grass all going to seed

Comment

I have killed at least a dozen lily beetles this year, and eggs, but I am still overrun with maggots.
            There's a photo in my blog (I haven't time to upload it on here right now)
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X