X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slugs - spawn of satan !! Simple as that
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

You need small boys, they will happlly pick up slugs and put them in a bucket or will squish catterpillars on your brassicas. All this for a tube of Smarties!!

Comment

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
        count yourself lucky then SR that you don't have deer
        I was just going to say the same thing!

Comment

Be happy too that they aren't horrid hairy things. I have already been to hospital once this month after coming into contact with one. Last week I got another and the pills needed sent me to la-la land for three days (possibly no change there then...).

Deer have trampled my spuds and eaten the tops off the ones at the edge of the beds. I am considering using cordoned fruit trees as a deer fence.
          Tx

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow brite View Post
            last year i was plagued by slugs, i have hardly seen any this year but went out in the garden today to find caterpillars everywhere!!!! the universe is testing me i'm sure of it!
            HFW has a recipe for slugs .....i don't know if he's got one for caterpillars tho....but i'm sure if we watch him long enough, he'll come up with something for them, probably marinaded in garlic and tossed in a crunchy salad, if the little buggers haven't eaten it all Bless him.

Comment

i use these slug pellets, it says its safe for wildlife and pets etc

Growing Success Advanced Slug Killer Rainfast Pellets 575g at Wilkinson Plus

Comment

Slugs are a big problem in my garden. There is nothing more satisfying than throwing or as it is nearly Wimbledon, slamming their hideous slimy bodies with a tennis racquet over nextdoors wilderness garden. Hearing that plop is quite satisfying.

The other rodent I would like to add to sr's satan list is SQUIRREL. Satan's little helper is not just satisfied with eating all the peanuts and seed that I put out for the birds but he has also been helping himself to my strawberries which are covered with netting, my alium flowers and finally destroying 4 of my sunflowers which had been protected with netting but had grown too big. God I hate squirrels.

Comment

Everyone loves Butterflies and Blue tits, but hates caterpillars. No wonder Butterflies are rare these days. And Blue tit young are fed exclusively on caterpillars.

I try not to get hung up about bugs. It's their home too. I work on an innocent until proven guilty basis. Everything has it place and purpose. In time, a natural balance should occur.

I watched Mrs Blackbird tucking into one of my strawberries the other day. I'm happy to share with her. She's got a nest in the hedge behind and sure she appreciates a tasty strawberry between the constant worm runs for the babies.

I also don't evict snails or kill slugs. There's a little gang of snails that gather by my pond. They're quite cute really.

If you have any plants you don't mind the caterpillars eating, just move them there. You could try letting a nettle patch form. A lot off butterflies will choose that to lay on.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X