Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onion White Rot

Hello All,
    I had to uproot all my Overwintered Onions, Garlic & Shallots, I had an attack of White Rot, seems to be all over the plot almost, save a couple of places. Has anybody got any tips for dealing with It out there?
    At least I managed to save a fair few as I think It would have taken the lot!
    Thanks
    BB
    Billy Bremner

I've had to do the same with mine! I'm having a two pronged attack:-

1) Make a permanent legume bed in the worst affected area (area has clubroot as well)
    2) Trialling supposedly white rot resistant onions (Golden Bear)

The first is sure to work but the jury's out on the second !
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Strangely enough the first thing I was going to do when I came on here was search for onion white rot!We've never suffered before,but whilst weeding our onions tonight,feel pretty sure that's what we've got!!!?
      Want to double check with some pics/descriptions before the jury's out...the ones with the problem are on heavy soil & not 100% sure it's not just due to being waterlogged,but pretty sure it's white rot!
      the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

I too have got onion white rot for the first time. I was weeding the onion and garlic bed yesterday when a couple of the winter onions and one of the garlic plants 'fell over'. The plants had almost no roots and a white deposit on the bottom. Strangely the top growth looked fine. The affected plants lift straight out of the ground when pulled gently - I reckon that I may have lost up to half of my onion crop and possibly a third of the garlic.

The standard solution seems to be to destroy all affected plants and not use the affected area for onions, etc. for 8 years! There are threads elsewhere on the web that suggest using Armillatox when the plot is empty and being dug over, and the Armillatox site also mentions its use for fungal disease in onions - Armillatox - The environmentally friendly herbicide, fungicide and insecticide. I have used Armillatox very successfully in the past for getting rid of 'fairy rings' in my lawn so I will certainly be giving it a try.
        Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

It's prevalent on our little allotment site. The main answer seems to be to grow my onions at home. Strangely, people grow good leeks there - I would have expected them to suffer too?
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X