Alien Slug

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alien Slug

I nearly had a heart attack the other night when I opened the back door & almost stepped on a giant fat slug on the step.It looked like something out of the old horror flick, 'Slither' was it? The one where things came up out of plugholes etc. I've looked it up & it seems to be a Giant/Great Grey or Leopard slug (both the same thing) & is supposed to eat only decaying vegetation like the giant black ones but I don't think my slugs have read the books as they seem to eat everything in sight (I think 'slightly damp' leaves hanging down qualify as decaying in their eyes!). Anyway it's in a plastic bag in the dustbin now, just hope it doesn't get out. It was hunched up in the photo & only about 5ins long but when I found it it was stretched out to about 7 or 8ins & I could see dozens of microscopic cream coloured mites swarming over it's body!
    Attached Files
    Into every life a little rain must fall.

You really do find some interesting wildlife Sue. Sounds revolting with the mites etc. Great photo again though.
    Last edited by Earthbabe; 13-11-2006, 02:00 PM. Reason: spelling
    Bright Blessings
    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Oooh! Gross!!!

Comment

Where's the yuk!/gross! smilie when you need one?
        Bright Blessings
        Earthbabe

Comment

Did you see 'Life in the Undergrowth' a year or two ago with David Attenborough?
          They had the sex life of the leopard slug on it - talk about hanging from the chandeliers!
          http://inelegantgardener.blogspot.com

Comment

Soooooooooooo gross !!!
            Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
            -- Alfred E. Neumann
            http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

What is the point of slugs? Is it just to give us a challenge or do they form a valid and important part of the ecological chain?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Ducks and hedgehogs eat them but otherwise I'm not sure.
                Bright Blessings
                Earthbabe

Comment

Well they are important in the food chain as they are eaten by a variety of things: birds, frogs, toads, hedgehogs, badgers... probably more besides.
                  Still hate them though!

Comment

Hi there SueA. You sure get the pics. But how gros is that! Hope he didn't have too many friends with him.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I don't think anything smaller than a badger would dare to tackle this one or some of his mates who live in our garden!
                      I remember seeing the 'Life in the Undergrowth' programme now that you mention it Happymouffe, they entwine their bodies & slither down strings of mucus don't they.

Comment

Corr SueA... I don't like slugs, but I have to admit that one has some nice markings... or should I say did have until it went in the bin!
                        Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Bet your little boy would have liked it Shortie. I should have sent it to you as a pet!
                          It's gone to the big dustbin in the sky now or at least the council tip (binmen just been), unless it escaped & is multiplying as I speak & plotting it's revenge!

Comment

Originally posted by SueA View Post
                            they entwine their bodies & slither down strings of mucus don't they.
                            You'd best wear a hat when you go out under the trees - could have entwined slugs dropping on your head!
                            http://inelegantgardener.blogspot.com

Comment

Good job I'm not eating - I definitely don't do mucus. *mimes hurling*
                              Bright Blessings
                              Earthbabe

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X