Rabbits

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rabbits

We are going to have to put up rabbit proof fencing around our patch, as they have just moved in to the adjacent field. in the meantime, are they likely to eat through enviromesh to get to the carrots ? Do they do that, or just go for things in open ground ? Like the asparagus ! Aargh - they can have the soddin carrots !
    odd notes about our kitchen garden project:
    http://www.distractedbyathing.net/tag/garden/

Get a cat, even better get 2, but put bells on them so they dont kill the birds. We were overun by 100's of the pests in Scotlland but had 4 cats and never a problem in the garden.

Comment

We do have a regular visit from a neighbours cat - I was trying to discourage it as it poos in our garden. Maybe I shouldnt be so harsh on the cat, just put barriers up to keep it off our veg and some tasty catnip around the perimeter fence to make a nice (?) catty smell that will alert the bunnies to keep away ! I would prefer a non-lethal approach, but if that doesnt work Im getting a gun !
      odd notes about our kitchen garden project:
      http://www.distractedbyathing.net/tag/garden/

Comment

organic free range rabbit is very tasty as long as you dont mind skinning and gutting. A .22 should be adequate.

Lots of people seem to find cats in the garden pooing and peeing a problem but I never have.

Comment

If you are going to shoot them(I just have this evening),please practice hitting a target and use a decent rifle with good sights.Sorry for the gorry(sp.) details,but if you don't know their anatomy(ie where the heart is) then a head shot will kill them cleanly and you're not going to break a tooth on the pellet either.

Comment

Be careful if you plan to shoot them.
            You are LEGALLY REQUIRED to have the permission of the land owner before taking and using any kind of weapon for vermin control. There are also other laws regarding shooting of small animals and where/how you can do it. For example, you can't shoot vermin on your neighbours field and you can't shoot most birds as they're protected. Make sure you're familiar with the laws.
            Failure to have permission may result in criminal proceedings by the police, if someone reports you. Armed trespass is not an offence to take lightly. The police are very twitchy about airguns these days.

There is also a requirement on many landowners to control their vermin. One of the farmers I shoot for has been accused of having too many rats by neighbours (he denies the allegation). Various inspectors have visited him as a result, to "audit" his pest control meaasures.

If you can acquire the written permission of the landowner (not just the "tenant"), then go right ahead; shoot them and eat them.
            I deal with vermin on a few farms and smallholdings (with written permission) and use a high-tech air rifle for the job (actually, I have quite a few special guns ).
            Shots through the brain are recommended, so that they drop on the spot (place the shot just behind the eye and below the ear). They will often twitch after being shot through the brain; it's the nerves.
            A shot through the heart-lungs (foremost third of the body) can allow them to run a hundred yards before they drop.
            A shot anywhere else will not kill them, which is rather cruel.
            Rabbits are small targets and are difficult to hit in critical spots at more than 35yds or so; few shooters can hold a gun steady enough to take out a rabbit brain at more than 40yds.

This is a picture of some of my anti-vermin gear; two have nightvision telescopic sights (for stealth at night), two have spotlights mounted on telescopic sights (for illuminating at night) and two have telescopic sights only:

Last edited by FB.; 08-06-2009, 09:22 PM.

Comment

some of your anti-vermin gear?

Comment

Originally posted by BFG View Post
                some of your anti-vermin gear?
                Erm......yeah.
                I have "one or two" more.

....but I would like to stress that I don't just go round shooting anything in sight. My hobby of "grow your own" and my association with farmers/smallholders (friends) inevitably leads to some need for vermin control. If people saw the effect (suffering) of some poisons, they'd think twice about poisoning. Shooting them is more humane and they can be eaten if they have been killed by a single well-placed shot through the brain (rather than filled with poison from bait or peppered with lead from a shotgun).

FB

Comment

Bet you're quick on the chest of drawers, what an arsenal. It does sound more humane than poison. I am sometimes glad that I live in the inner city, so don't have a problem with rabbits. I do love rabbit gravy though.
                  Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X